• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's with the umps?!

bassislife

This year has been some of the worst umping I have ever seen. Their strike zones are either ankles to shoulders or belly button to belt, and I have seen countless bad calls at first, not to mention lots of foul balls somehow being called fair.

Like last night, evidently the umps can't call homeruns fair or foul either. How do you even think that a ball 6 feet foul is fair? Good thing they reviewed it and made the right call. Plus, strikes throw by both pitchers last night were being called balls. But what's new, that has been just about every game. Good thing slowey was able to shake it off and get the shutout.

Some of these umps need to be benched!

Ya, good thing they made reviewed it and made it foul. And it hasn't been only bad calls at first, it has been at second, 3rd, and home too. I know no one is perfect but come on, what are these guys getting paid for?

I was thinking the same thing watching the game last night! There was one at bat to thome where he was 0-2 and Slowey threw him three straight strikes the ump called balls. So the at bat went full and he rang him up on the highest fastball yet! Do you guys think the Major League Strike Zone is too small? Some of those pitches that seem right there are being called balls day in and day out.

I agree, I thought some of the called ball pitches Slowey threw were perfect looking strikes and some of the called strike pitches he threw were high and outside, especially to Thome late in the game. I do like the new camera angle they use, it gives the viewer a much better look at pitches.

You should try umpiring sometime! They don't get replay from 5 different camera angles and then get to make the call or complain like you guy's do.

Last night the strike zone was very consistant for both pitchers no high strikes were called as was evident on Mauers at bats early in the game when 3 pitches that looked almost perfect were called balls.

The play at first the umpire was looking at the bag like he should have been and just didn't look up in time for the tag!

Things happen real fast out there in case you were wondering!

Try stairing at home plate from third base and have somebody rip one down the left field line 350 feet in 2 seconds and you tell me if its fair.

That's why they add more umpires for the playoff's!

The upmpire's do an outstanding job!

Carry on!. grin

What?! Carry on? The way they've been umping this year they don't deserve a congrats. Like I said, no one's perfect and stuff may happen fast, but that's what they get paid for isn't it? To make the right calls?

Now I'm not saying all the calls they make are bad, I have seen good calls too. They main thing is the strike zone. Some umps have the perfect zone while others are all over the place. I just hate seeing balls be strikes and strikes be balls. It's sickening. They should at least be able to do that right.

I gotta chime in that I feel overall the general ump population is pretty darn good. I can't tell you how many times I was unsure but the replay proved them right and me wrong. I don't know how many times I have said to myself "that was so close", but they definitely get it right more in my opinion than they are wrong by far. Naturally they should not daydream, but Pier is right, sometimes the speed of a play can catch 'em offguard and that is only human...now, who among us has never been daydreamin' at our job? And we certainly would not want our bosses, or the whole viewing public, to be able to see our mistakes replayed over and over.

I am pro-ump on calls as you can tell. Now, the strike zone leaves alot to be desired and I don't go for that whole "it's the same for both teams" but that is the pros game and has been for quite awhile.

Off the soapbox now, so tonight, let's do it all over again.

PS Did you ever hear anyone ask "did you see that call last night? the ump was all over that one and did a great job"

PPS I have said this before: my pet peeve is that darn "phantom" or "in the vicinity" play. I hate those.

No matter what it is always the umps fault. Try umpimg once. No matter what call you make you hear about it. The only sport without replay and thats the way it should be. The only time you hear about an umpire is when he makes a bad call. How about the first 1,000 he got right. Try umping once, its much harder than it looks, then make a bad call once and listen to the names you get called from players, coaches, and fans. It's not much fun.

I do ump, and it actually is fun believe it or not. It might not be mlb, but I hear about the bad calls. If you're an ump it is something you get used to, and you should be able to take critizm especially if you are making the money they make.

I spent alot of summers umping little league ball, even there, things happen fast and you need to be right on top of things. There are alot of little things like getting to the right spot to make the call, not tripping over the bat, or remebering to make the right signal with the right words (not a shining moment in my life)....

I know that it is only natural to complain about calls that are wrong or not in your teams favor, I do it too, but these guys do a darn good job out there. Trying to hit a 95 mph fast ball is hard, and trying to see if it was 2 inches outside isn't much easier, not to mention the catcher may be moving and the batter swinging, alot of stuff happens in a very short period of time, under half a second, it's easy to critize when everything is slowed down and replayed.

Anyone catch the LAA and TB game? How about the call when upton got out at first because they said he made a move for second? One of the worst calls ever. But that's our great umps at their best mad.

Go ahead, let me hear it. I know you all think these umps are great but I stand by my word, these are the worst umps to date. Compare this season to previous ones and you'll realize it too, guaranteed.