• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Killing Roots

Bobcat45

A few years ago my wife planted a [me] willow on the top edge of our septic tank. I told her that wasn't a good idea but she told me it won't get very big. She was wrong. I have it all dug out but it has a tap root about 3" in diameter going straight down that I can't get pulled out. I'm pretty sure that it's not affecting the tank but it does run along side it. Can I just cut the root and is there something available that can be painted on the root to kill it. Thanks Bobcat

Thanks for the replies. after some research on the net it seems like roundup will work but make a fresh cut, drill a hole and pout it in the hole and wrap that part of the root with plastic. There are other products that are mentioned also that will work even diesel fuel was mentioned. And also to pound a copper nail into it. Thanks again Bobcat

Copper nail uh? I've for 3 years now been tring to kill buckthorn! I did the holes with roundup--Slowed em down but came back.out of 3-400 buckthorns all but about 30-40 dead these seem immune to roundup.It worked on everything else even willows!