• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wake Bait..??

uplander

Took the bait out last night durring my leauge and gave it fair shake.... one taker....14" ...two others that missed it..bass just didn't seem in the mood to chase last night.. almost all fish came on plastics fished slow to stop....mostly stop.. I will keep using that bait, looks too good not to... you can also hear the thing rattle about when it gets about 30 feet from the boat. Might be a great lure for after dark... It's got a good beat and you can dance to it, I give it a 6.......with a chance of moving up.......Anyone....anyone......Bueler......Bueler........

I haven't used them yet, but I would say they would be an excellent choice right around dawn or dusk. Moving nice and slow right at the surface, I really like baits like that at those times. Rapala has a couple new lures coming out, one of which is the DT01 which has a tiny square bill to fish within an inch or two of the surface with that DT wobble. That will be a deadly bait.

If you haven't seen rapala's new offerings that they brought to ICAST, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

Thanks for the response....now I dont have to be known as the guy who posts and then responds to his own post.......or maybe I still am that guy , 3 out of 4....yep, that's me. My guess is not many people are using them yet...thanks again..uplander

There are a billion baits out there, many to catch fisherman vs. fish. I try to always keep that in mind. I've said this before, but I've came full circle from simple, to trying all the hot new stuff, back to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

So the first thing I would do is classify this bait. To me, it's in the topwater / shallow crank category. A bait for fish "looking up" or living shallow. Our lakes have weeds, so to classify even further, this is NOT a weedless bait like a Frog, etc.

In this same category, I like to throw a buzzbait. So to me, if the conditions are right, I'll reach for the buzzbait first. So where would this bait out perform a buzzbait? You'll basically be throwing it in the same places (no weeds on top or at the surface). So to me, the only place where the wake bait would be advatagous would be in clear water. Would it work equally as well as a buzzbait in dirtier water? Maybe. So that is where the choice comes in.

So sticking with my KISS method, I'll stick to a buzzbait. The advantage is I develop and maintain confidence in what I'm throwing. The disadvantage is I might miss out, or be late to the party on the "new best thing".

Sorry, not much to add about the bait, but wanted to give you an idea of why I throw a bait, and why not (yet). :o) Believe me, if you post pics of 5 lbrs on this thing, I'm like any other fisherman and would have to try it. smile

Thanks for that...KISS....method/ explanation. I'm just not sure if you were calling me stupid or you or all of us...I guess that makes me stupid. I do like to keep it simple for me 90% of the time it's a plastic worm....rigged diferently but still a worm. It's the speed that you can retrieve this lure that will seperate it from your buzz. You can go ultra slow if choose an option the buzz does not give you ...Anyway I don't want to get in to that disscusion or advocate the lure, just currios if anyone had tried them. Don't worry fluker I know you wern't calling me stupid, but sometimes i would agree with you if you were... peace out..uplander

Ha ha. I think you took that in jest, and were just giving me a hard time, atleast I hope so. smile And you are 100% correct, I was not calling you, myself, or anyone else stupid. The KISS method is just something I learned back in a business class and it sure has fit in to many aspects of my life.

Sometimes it's NOT the best approach. When you get down to clearer, pressured water, details can be a major factor. Most of our waters aren't that way though. When I lived in Missouri, I bet I had 15 different colors of Watermelon / Pumpkin tubes. I've seen a purple flake vs. a red flake make a difference down there in that water. I still have several colored tubes, but about all I look at in color is dark (black, junebug, etc), natural (browns/greens) and light (white/chart.). The small details just dont' seem to make a difference as much in dirtier or less pressured water.

However on the adverse side, I fail miserably at KISS when it comes to rods, reels and electronics. On electronics, I think details make a difference. Every little bit helps. But rods and reels? I'm particular and even build my own rods. But I've had my butt kicked a many times by guys with old technology equipment. What can I say? smile

Lastly, I do apologize if you took my post out of contect. I know if was a little off topic, but thought I'd give another line of thought.