• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Full Moon for Walleyes?

I know the muskie guys really look at the lunar calendar, but do you walleye guys look at sunset/moonrise times and do you find that the fishing can be above average on or around the full moon? Thanks.

DB

"Full Moon - Fish At Noon" Strangley enough I have done very well by fishing the mid-day hours during a full moon cycle. My father in law always preeched it so a few years ago I gave it a whirl. I was impressed...

I love fishing the full moon, especially trolling under a full moon in the fall. But in the fall I definately put more emphasis on water temperature than on moon phase, it's not at all uncommon to have much better fishing around a new moon, or a week off from a full moon, if the water temperature is right. There'll be noticably fewer boats on the water when you get away from the Sept and Oct full moons too.

I agree PerchJerker, just look at the fall Frenzy last year and a couple of weeks after. the water temps were too warm, and the Eyes were not schooling up yet. I think the warmer water temps had alot to do with the Fall Survey.

When the water temps cool down, no doubt the moon phases can produce some of the biggest Eyes of the Season.

I get more excited a few days prior than during & after. Can't honestly say I've ever experienced a spectacular full moon bite. I used to get pretty excited but never seen much.(Even with that being said I still check the lunar cycles before booking trips.) I can definately say, through my observations, I've had many hotter bites occurring a day or 2 prior.

Alot of people seem to forget, the Moon Phase (at least according to In'Fisherman)i t's not just the Full Moon. It's three days before the Full moon, Full Moon, and 3 days after.

We hit this cycle years ago on Cass Lake (July)when we stayed up for 7 days. and we caught during that period trolling cranks at night from an hour before sunset to 2 hrs after sunset 15 Eyes between 5-8lbs. All released. One of my best weeks ever for nice/big fish.

I think water temps play just as big a roll as far as the nitebite goes.We just got back from a lake that we fished the fullmoon phase,and the temps really made the difference on fish activity.A 2degree swing was all it took to shut the bite down.Last year we had good temps that stayed consistant and just hammered big eyes.We checked out alot of other variables that might have played a role in the decrease of activity,but temps seem to be the biggest factor.