• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Edge systems

The Edge is one of the best out there. BUt it adds alot of power, and it just depends on how you use all the power! It can add upto 150 hp, and other parts of the truck werent desiegned for that much power. It will be your foot that breaks stuff not the power chip! If you can behave with it, they are great and can increase fuel milage by 5-8 mpg or more.

I've used Edge on my last two Duramax trucks. They allow for different power settings if the driver lacks self control at times. smile Anywhere from 30HP gain for towing or 100HP for putting the smackdown on a mustang. There is a "hot" level you can purchase on top of the cost of the regular edge that used to be 150HP or something.

They offer a couple different "chips" as people like to say. One is a plug-in box that you plug into the injector wire harnesess. An option with that box is a dash mounted display where you can change power levels "on the fly". It also will show various engine parameters. The other option is of the programmer variety they call the "Evolution" that downloads a new program to the engine computer which alters the fuel curves depending on the power level you pick before downloading. It is also a dash display that is almost identical to the other dash display. Both displays can be disconnected or not used if you wish. The programmer style does not allow for on the fly changing of the power levels.

I've used both styles and they work fine.

They also "defuel" prior to upshifting to pull some of the power away which helps the tranny a little, but they are still more power than the manufacturer sold the truck with so damage can occur with abuse. The biggest problem with the Allison is the 4-5 shift, as those clutches are smaller and don't have the hydraulic capcacity that the other gears have for acceleration or getting the load moving. Rolling hard into the throttle in 5th gear numerous times at the high HP level settings could eventually put your truck into a limp mode. After limping it a time or two it just gets easier to do after that since the clutches have been cooked. For the record, I've never limped my trucks once and I've driven them fairly hard at times.

5-8 mpg gain? I would say probably not with 99.9% confidence. Yeah, I know there is always that "one guy" we've all heard of with the magical truck that gets some crazy mileage, but he would be the 0.1% with a funny looking calculator.

Well, if you want to play then be prepared to pay. Using them will put your wallet at risk especially if you have any factory waranty left on your vehical. If you're looking at a fairly small tune you should also consider a few transmission mods (i.e. a Transgo Jr kit). If you're looking at something with more umph then you'll need to consider more intensive transmission mods. In addition you'll need to consider upgrading some suspension components for those 4x4 launches. Along with the tune (either box or programmer) you should consider some more guages (or the ones in the Edge produts display), at the very least an EGT probe, as well as improving the intake and exhaust. Those last two have waranty related issues to deal with too. Of course if you're tempted to remove the DPF on an LMM motor you'll need a programmer to modify the ECM not to throw codes and you will be mucking with an emmision system on the truck (same as removing a CAT). It's up to you if you fancy the downside of doing that.

Easy enough...buy the Edge module then if you're worried about the sky falling. If the need arises that a trip to the dealer is in order, a 5-minute removal (if that) and you're done and nobody is the wiser.

The rest of the stuff (tranny upgrades, beefing up the tierods, etc) is only needed if you're going to be racing the thing and more for the hardcore crowd.

The everyday Joe will be just fine as long as he doesn't have a heavy right foot at every stoplight. Yes, you always run the risk of breaking something when power is added and it's been that way since the car was invented, but these products for the most part are very reliable and will make owning the truck more enjoyable.

The reason I ask is my son placed one in his Duramax this spring and really was careful with it. Saturday night as they were to leave the race track, the truck started but boy, did it sound like sh$t and had no power and smoked out the exhaust alot. Edge unit removed and back to the chev dealer for warranty work.

I hope it all works out ok.

So did it carry on after the unit was removed? Does he have the module that goes under the hood?

Did he check the oil to see if it was overfull and/or smelled like diesel?

I wouldnt volunteer any info that you had any sort of Edge product in the truck when brought in for repair for warranty purposes! Stuff happens, even without power enhancers installed. Hopefully he had a better night on the track!

No, we had a motor issue on the track. He got it back today and itr was something with an injector. Chev dealer said it had something to do with a service notice. Under 50,000 and full warranty.

No, he took everything off the truck and under the hood.