• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Hand Held Sonar

olbaidhh

I have the Polar Vision, too. It is the older style, not the smaller version. It seems to work good. I have gotten some weird readings from it, but that was through bad ice. They are a lot more handy than carrying around the Vexilar. Hey, Lavoi, have you been out to Melissa at all this year?

I bought the Vexilar version hand held first (yellow handle) and it didn't work so I took it back and bought the Polar Vision. I can't say enough good things about it - works great. I have used both the larger version and the smaller one, which also has the water temp on it. I would recommend the larger version.

I just bought the Marcum LX-i, and I really like it. It makes for quick work checking depths. The display is on top, so I don't have to scrunch down to read the depth. It takes minimal moisture (a well placed spit) to get a reading. And, it's very compact and light making for a much better deal than lugging my flasher around.

I haven't owned any other models to compare it to. Plus, I wasn't convinced that I would find it all that useful. But, after using it, I wouldn't leave home without it.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I used the polar vision last year and it worked great. This year I am disappointed, it does not read well -- even with new batteries. It may be the ice, but even thru an open hole it takes some time and gives false readings at times. Not wanting to drill a hole anymore w/o a good wroking hand held, I now have purchased the LXi ($119) and hope to try it this weekend. I think the top readout will be a plus, but will post a report as soon as I use the LXi

[This message has been edited by iceyooper (edited 01-22-2004).]

I have had the Norcross Hawkeye portable. When it worked it was great. It is the model with a LCD screen on it. Fit in your hand. In 11 months I had to return it under warranty 3 times. When the 4th one quit working, I took it back and got the handheld Norcross that looks like a flashlight. I am not impressed with this unit either. It frequently does not read thru the ice even with lots of water poured on it. Just reads "-----". Last time I used it I was even having trouble getting a reading thru a drilled hole. Could it be the cheap battery I put in it? I thought if the battery is low that it just would not work, but maybe I will try a good brand battery. I wish the display was on the end so I wouldn't have to take it out of the water to read it....

I too have tried the Norcross Marine Hawkeye DF2120PX depthfinder that is selling on hsolist for $35. I have used it several times, and all things considered, it works fairly well for the $35 investment. It doesnt seem to do well through very cloudy ice, but when you use it on clear ice it seems to work OK. Sometimes, it does not register the depth, but generally I have found that it is usually due to not keeping the face held flat against the ice. Considering that it (and the competing models) normally sell for $120, I think it is a fairly decent depthfinder for the money. Just my $.02