• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Big Crappie?

CrappieMagnet

I don't see it happening any time soon. After all, there are those who don't know a black from a white crappie, and others who have no desire to let other fishermen know where they caught their trophy fish. Even if one is caught, there's probably a good chance that it would never even get registered.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know what would be great? if the DNR let you register a state record as being caught out of Lake X. What would be th eimplications if you lied aboot what lake you caught a record fish out of? would you be disqualified? If i caught a record fish out of a lake that was smaller than lets say aboot 700 acres i would say i caught it out of a bigger lake nearby.

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

Since we are drifting even further from the main topic why not this.

HOW come there are state records for migratory trout not inland stream trout?

Yah, like I'm going to pull a 16 pound brown out of the Root River!!

Jim W

Forever being the optimist, I would like to believe that there is a record crappie swimming in one of our waterways, along with a giant walleye, bass, sunny ect, ect.

Nevertheless, I would prefer to see modern dates behind all record setting catches. Yes, one pound back in 1940 still weighs one pound in 2004, but there always seems to be some speculation when there is discussion regarding a record fish caught twenty-plus years ago: The legitimacy of the scale that was used and did they accurately measure it? The angler and all of the witnesses have passed away and there is only a grainy, black and white photo, if any that validates it.

A buddy of mine has mounted, an 18” crappie that he caught on a small lake in September, several years ago. The thing looks very impressive! I can’t even imagine what a true five-pounder would look like.

Given the proper conditions, it is in their genetics to grow to that size…<;))))><

If you're ever up fishing Red Lake.... stop in at the West Wind. They have an 18"er mounted... its hanging behind the bar. I could'nt comprehend one of 20"+. Impressive indeed.

I think if you lied about where you caught a record fish, you would be DQ'ed. How would they find out about it though? I dunno.

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

Well ones got to believe that the next big fish is either gonna get caught in a large body of water,(Rainy,upper and lower red,Crane,Mille lacs,Rabbit,Leech,Winni,and others)any large river system or a pond noone hardly fishes.Also the water has to sustain a good forage base for a crappie to reach enormous perportions, and also has to be deep enough to hardly get noticed.There's alot of determining factors involved,but i don't think it's impossible.I know one thing for sure...i'm gonna keep on trying,or die trying.

There is a state record walley or 2 that swims in the St.Louis river come spring. Doubt it? Maybe you should ask Poutslayer what what he lost last spring!
As far as a black Crappie at 5# being out there. Sure why not? Maybe in Rainy Lake or North LOW?

Anyone read Fur Fish and Game? A few months ago there was a pic of the new Iowa state record crappie in there caught this past summer. 4 lb. 13 oz. if I remember correctly. Huge slab!

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

Well, one things for sure, if I ever catch a record fish on a lake I dont want everyone knowing about, i am going to tell the dnr it was caught on an 'unnamed lake' in a county other than that I caught it in. This is a response to Bobbos reply.