• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Big Crappie?

CrappieMagnet

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FishNchester, i didnt catch my fish out of lower red, that is just where i think a state record would come from if they ever opened it up to non-tribal members. My crappie was caught out of a small lake in central minnesota.

I would say it is in Lower Red lake, I did get one aboot 2 years ago that went aboot 17 1/2" while i was bass fishing but i never had it weighed, and she went back into the water after a picture

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

[This message has been edited by Bobb-o (edited 01-21-2004).]

ok so there is not a new state record crappie out there, well what about a new state record for the walleye. I think that vermillion holds one. The biggest I have seen come out was a 13+ pounder.

O

work is for people who don't fish

Last week at the taxidermist in Nebraska where I live and the taxidermist told me that he finished mounting a 4 lb 8 oz crappie. It was caught in a farm pond on fathers day in 2003. It was the largest crappie caught on 6 lb line and broke the nebraska state record. I would like to believe that there is a good chance of a 5lb. plus crappie swimming around in Minnesota. My uncle claims that he caught a 5 pounder out of rainy twenty years ago, I don't believe it but I'm sure it was huge.

well i know the further south i go,statewize, the white crappie is dominate,like anywhere south of Des Moines,Iowa.
And north of that black crappie are dominate.Although we have both species present in our waters.The state record white seems to be broken every other year.One's got too think the black is eventually gonna get caught...think of it like a lottery ticket....!?

Nope, can't win a lottery if there isn't a winning ticket. Sorry again but 5 lb black crappie in "MINNESOTA" is a figment of someones imagination.

Does anyone recall a very large black crappie coming out of Lawrence Lake a year or 3 ago? If I recall it was over 20"

[This message has been edited by Bogsucker (edited 01-22-2004).]

I'd have to say that no, the black crappie record isn't swimming right now, but I think the white crappie probably is.
As far as walleyes, its out there, I know they get bigger then are state record and I betya its swimming right now. As far as where I would say some little northwoods lake or one of the big boundary waters.(Or maybe red? if a few bigguns escaped the nets and havent been fished for in years they might have got really big by now.)

I'm not sure but I think thats the Georgia giant sunfish that was in a Field and Stream magizine a couple years back. The story behind it was a guy drained his farm pond and saw the five pound sunfish flopping around in the middle when the water was to low to suport the swimming fish. At first he thought it was a pizza! The fish was stocked by some sort of chemist biological engineer who basicly made the strain of sunfish.
The Carolinas has the world record sunny of 7 or 8 pounds. The world record walleye is 25 pounds from Arkansas. Only four states have had eyes over 20 pounds, Arkansas, Tennesee, Kentucky, and another state close by but not 100% sure which one.

Ok, there is a 5 lb black crappie swimming around in the Mississippi river and another in the rainy river and another in the vermilion river and another in west rush lake and another in upper red lake and another in lake scumbro and just maybe another in my imagination... or was it in Pokegama, Nah the bear ate that one.

Sorry, but the original question was "I'm curious...Does anyone think the state record black crappie is swimming in one of our great lakes,ponds or rivers?"

So I guess the answer is YES, someone does think there is a state record black crappie swimming in one of our great lakes,ponds or rivers.

JUST NOT ME, and Lunker

I'm having way too much fun with this.

[This message has been edited by Bogsucker (edited 01-22-2004).]

When you talk about crappies you should specifiy Black or White. White crappies seem to get a lot bigger then blacks and a lot faster.

I would imagine the one caught in Nebraska was a white. We used to catch huge whites in Iowa.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

believe it or not... the next state record walleye is swimming within minutes of downtown Minneapolis... in the Minnesota River.

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

I added my .02 on the crappie question, but I am positive there are several state record walleyes in our waters.

In the early 70's, I worked for a commercial fishing co. in western MN and had the opportunity to be on several lakes in an 8 county area, including 3 in the Minnesota River system.

The only fish we were allowed to remove were rough fish but in a 2000' seine you collect a lot more fish other than rough fish. All the game fish are returned to the lake and of course the operation is under the constant supervision of DNR personnel.

In 2 of those lakes I saw and returned walleyes that easily exceeded 18 lbs. and that was verified by DNR personnel. I realize this is 30 years later, but the number of lakes we netted was probably 10% of the total number of lakes in the area so I am convinced that if you consider all the water in MN there are many record walleyes alive and well today.

I have caught several dog fish in my life and they all seem to be in the five six pound range, but two summers ago i spotted this unbelievably large dogfish. I didn't have anything a dardevle on 40 lb test muskie rod. I know that dogfish hit everything but I wasn't too sure about a dardevle. I set the dardevle right in foront of its face and just dangled it there for two seconds and he nailed it. I was in for a fight. I knew this dogfish was over ten pounds, and after about a minute of fighting the dogfish spitout my dardevle. I didn't know they could do that with a treble hook. I took a look at the treble hook, one prong was bent perfectly straight. Then I got to thinking even if I had landed the fish would I have actually had it weighed at a certified scale and mess with all that stuff just to get a record that many people could have and just don't want?