• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flathead Survey Pool 2 Mississippi River

Larry FlatCaster

Good to see that the DNR is taking measure of catfish and getting an idea of what is out there. Cats aren't just another "rough fish" any more. Kinda tough to survey without trot lines since they are always getting messed with. Electrofishing is tough too since the electric field is only so deep and cats are such powerful swimmers.

exactly.....

that doesn't mean that the shore is closed after dark though..........

Well many shores are of limits considering the critters that come out at night. And by critters I mean weird people.

Originally Posted By: kingfisher1
exactly.....

that doesn't mean that the shore is closed after dark though..........

Well many shores are of limits considering the critters that come out at night. And by critters I mean weird people.

You talking about shore fisherpeople like shack?? grin

if you know where to go, you can catch some nice cats....... Right around downtown st. paul, too. I've spent many nights chasing cats from the shore looking at the lights of downtown after dark. quite peacefull if you ask me

Quote:
You talking about shore fisherpeople like shack??

Hey now, I might be weird, but I am not like those weird people mplspug is talking about grin Those type of people would never think of messing with me wink

It does take a certain type of person to shore fish the St. Paul area at night. Like fisherking said it is very nice to just sit back and enjoy the surroundings in that area.

Some times it is just good to go back to your roots and change the pace a little. Most of us started fishing from shore and it is (IMO) just a simpler, less hassle type of thing to do once and awhile. Drive down, hop out and cast. Wait awhile and then hit another spot.

Living up in Princeton, what I like the most is the $40-$50 gas difference between bringing the boat and driving the car per trip. Also when you are on a skunk streak going in the boat, the change in pace is something I have found keeps me going and not throwing in the towel.

Nothing like a nice lawn chair, no carver trestle bridge, a fire if you want and when you are ready to go, reel up and you are on the way home. No half an hour motor boat drive to the launch, loading up, then packing up the boat and over an hour drive home. Do not get me wrong, I love doing it, but it gets old fast when you get a couple skunk trips in a row.

Cool story LFC. Thanks for sharing. Gives a dude hope and I know one of these trips we will see a 40-50lber or bigger lugged out of this area.

I'm just ribbin' ya shack! wink

You guys all catch a biggun for me. Heading in for my shoulder surgery in about an hour and a half. No more flattin' for me I guess. Maybe I can get recouped enough for some late fall action. Tyler and I know of a spot that has produced fish later in the year, and it hasn't turned on yet so hopefully...

I like hitting it right downtown early and late in the year. You need at least one companion though. With this low water I wouldn't mind giving it a shot too.

Yesterday I visited a spot where you see the lights. I was all by my lonesome...for about 10 minutes. Next thing you know a group of 6 people show up. It was nice having the company and being able to [PoorWordUsage] about fishing. So sometimes it is nice to run into strangers, but only if they are carrying a fishing pole.