• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoked trout?

wanger29

This message concerns some smoked trout I've got in the fridge. I forgot a pack in crisper for over a month and has got a little moisture in it. The fish still appears fine & no smell. What's the shelf life on some that's just zip-locked smoked trout?

may sound a bit strange, but if there's no smell difference, i'll usually just saute the smoked fish quickly to be on the safe side..... just throw some olive oil in a pan, break the trout up a little bit and saute it on high for a minute or so per side..... that way, at least you know there won't be any issues and it's still mighty tasty..... we always bring back too much when we head up to the north shore and i've done this quite a few times with good results to this point.....

if there's no taste issues, it's not gonna make you sick if you cook it-- kills anything that could potentially be wrong w/ it..... if it's gone bad, the taste and/or consistency will be off..... then throw it away....

Is it cold or hot smoked trout? Hot smoked fish only has a shelf life of days to a week or two refrigerated not vaccuum sealed. Cold smoked can last a couple months which is always done commercially.

I've eaten my own hot smoked trout after 3 or 4 weeks in the fridge... just use your best judgement on how it looks/smells. Glad to hear you ate some and didn't spend the night on the toilet smile