• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you think it will make it?

Yesterday I was cutting alfalfa and jumped a young fawn. I mean this thing was barely the height of a springer spaniel. It seemed very healthy but doesn't this seem to be a little late in the year for a fawn to still be this small? How long do they hang on to their spots?

I'm wondering if we get a harsh winter whether this fawn will survive.

Bob

That sure seems like a younin' Bob. Nothing in nature surprises me, ya never know, but I would lean to it not making it, since we are 5 days from august, and probably 3 months from your first snow storm and week of low temps....

Several years ago I jumped one with spots during the first weekend of the firearms season. It wasn't much bigger than a small dog. This one also seemed very healthy but doubted that it would make it through the winter.

BobT -

If the winter is fairly mild, and the food is adequate, it may make it.

In 2005, I had a doe that was incredibly fat on my trail cam in mid august. I never even imagined that she was still pregnant.

About labor day, there she was with two brand new fawns. I really doubt those made it through the winter.

I've seen spots in october and I saw new ducklings last week. This year has been pretty late with the cold, late snow and the cool wet spring. If it jumped up and bounded away I would say its pretty healthy.

I jumped one about that size mowing in my tree planting about that same time. I could see the grass moving in front of me & assumed it was a pheasant until the ears popped out as I got to a place where the grass was a little shorter. I think in our area, yours & mine, there's enough food & cover they'd make the winter okay most of the time, at least if Mom makes it, but probably even if she doesn't. I've seen some awfully tiny yearlings in the spring.