• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tire wear

I have a Ford Explorer and my front tires are wearing more on the inside tread. Does anyone know what the cause of this may be. I have had a couple people bring up bad ball joints or tie rods. Are these options?

Thanks

More likely lower ball joints if the tread is only worn out on the inside. Its not uncommon for the lower ball joints to be sloppy/worn out.

Extreme toe out can case a similar wear but the tread will be "feathered". Its hard to explain with words.

I believe I do have feathered tread, i just did a break job today and found a problem with a part of my suspension. I am missing a part of what I believe is called the stabilizer link asembly on one side of the front end, is this also called the stabilizer bar link. Anyways one of mine is broke on the passenger front side. Would this cause the feathered wear? Anyways thanks guys for the help, appreciate it.

The broken link in a long term situation might cause some wear, but I would gather to guess lack of rotation would be more of a factor if everything is tight up front and the tires are feathering.

How often do you rotate the tires?

The link would not cause that type of wear.

If you place a jack under the lower control arm and jack the vehicle up until the tire is a couple of inches of the ground you will be able to check the ball joints. For the lower place a pry bar under the wheel and lift up on the handle. If its loose you'll feel it. For the upper push in and pull out on the top of the tire while the jack is still under the lower control arm. If the top is loose typically you will feel it while pushing in. If you checked them any other way other than a jack directly under the control arm you will likely not feel any play even if they are really bad!

Quote:
The link would not cause that type of wear.

That is what I think also. Funny though, you can get all kinds of answers from front end guys grin More so when they want you to sell a certain part whistle

I have an explorer with the same problem. Link was broken. Mechanic didn't catch it even though I knew someithing in the front end was amiss. When it was fixed I had just rotated the tires and mehcanic told me they had to rotate them back because the tires were badly chopped because of the broken link. I was told it might take a while for the tires to even out. Well I just had my tires rotated again and the tire noise is horrible when I speed up and slow down. The choppy tires have not evened out. The tires are about 2 years old and if the noise doesn't get quieter I might have to either rotate them back or buy new tires.