• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

a wierd idea

I've started vertical jigging more this summer from my yak and was thinking.

Why can't I use one of my longer ice fishing rods, that way I could use my sonar like in ice fishing to see what is going on down there. The ice rod whould be much more condusive with the yak for jigging than even a short open water rod.

Is this a dumb idea ? has anyone done anything like before?

I've heard guys jigging with long ice rods before. In fact i think there are a few specialty rods designed just for vertical jigging open water in the manner you are suggesting. Try it out!

Done it this way for many years. We use 5ft rods with our open face ice fishing reals. Set-up with slip bobbers and jigs. Works out great if your anchored or drifting. Also picked up one of those fold-up nets in case you run into something larger. We always can see our jigs with the sonar shooting through the hull.

Go back to some of the first posts in this forum and you will see some pictures and video of my set-up. Just wish I had more time the last couple years to get out in it.

I think the sensitivity of nice graphite ice rod would be better than most long rods and I could see it being much easier to handle in a Kayak or Canoe than a longer rod.

We were sitting on a brush pile last fall vertical jigging for Crappies and I was thinking, I wish I had my ice rods with.

I think there was post a year or so ago about someone using ice rods while skipping around on public docks for pannies and crappies. I think in some cases it makes total sense.