• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel Questions

I just picked up a second Musky casting rod, my old rod is & has been a trolling rod as it's very stiff and 8 ft long. The new one is lighter action and is much better for throwing lighter lures 2 oz to 4 oz. The question I have is on reels. My trolling rig has a Abu C3 but I don't have a reel lined up for the new casting rod which will throw jerk baits, smaller bucktails, bass style spinners & topwaters. I have an old (late 90's) Shimano Calcutta 200 that has been set aside after upgrading bass rigs over the years and am thinking of putting that on the new casting rod. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think I'll be able to expect an OK outcome? I have casted it out w/the lures I plan on using for the new casting rig, but I'm a bit concerned on if I run the chance of blowing out the reel. Your thoughts and/or suggestions? I really like the calcutta's, and have heard of musky guys throwing calcutta 400's or higher, but not so much the 200s

the calcutta is top notch! I use the cheaper cardiff 400 and it werxz just fine for what i'm throwing bucktails some jerx and small bull dawgs I would go to a lake and throw a few heavy baits to see if all is well before the biggun bites and your gears fly apart