• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

walk the dog?

what's the best way to retrieve a ''walk the dog'' type bait like a weagle? is it up,up,up,up that's best for you or side,down.. down down, up, down/ what works best or is there a best?

I just bought a "doc" the other day and will get my first chance to try it out tomorrow. You guys ever hook into anything with this style of topwater?

Sometimes it seems topwaters just get you more [PoorWordUsage]'d than anything else. I have read and heard that obviously they end up with lower hooking percentages but lordy. I've had several (guessing mid 40") lost on headshakes with a topraider this year with my brief experience - and wouldn't you know it I was able to actually haul in a hammer handle on it haha...jokes on me!

I like to keep my pole down and the tip aimed directly at the lure itself. Makes it much easier to try and get a good hookset with it.

DOC's are good topwaters. I have caught good fish on them but like anyother WTD topwater, they get their share of misses as well!

Short quick taps with the rod down, watching the lure (Weagle) and making sure it's doing what I want it to. My goal is to walk it side to side, simple as that.....

I should mention I do this with a 8' Diamondback jerkbait rod, rod length is not an issue. The only issue is getting the bait to swing like it should, and the Weagle has been hot lately.

Hook up % is higher than you think if you do it right.

Quote:
Short quick taps with the rod down, watching the lure (Weagle) and making sure it's doing what I want it to. My goal is to walk it side to side, simple as that.....

thanks everyone. seems it's some form of down,down for sure. wondering because i have next week off and am heading to mille lacs for a days fishing.( maybe stay after dark who knows.) going to try for 'ski, walleye, perch and crappies mabe. want to try a weagle type and see what happens.

so is it supposed to be subsurface with a wake/without a wake or is it strictly move on top with a wake? in your humble oppinion of course cool

Quote:
so is it supposed to be subsurface with a wake/without a wake or is it strictly move on top with a wake? in your humble oppinion of course

That's what makes it unique. It's a surface topwater WTD bait but with the weight displacement 1/2 or a little more of the body is under the surface. Result is a LOT of water moved, and a far less chance of a fish blowing up underneath it and pushing the bait out of the water before the fish hits hooks. Other topwaters ride higher in the water and are more succeptable to blow-ups where the lure leaves the "strike zone" before the fish's mouth is there.

I've had to cut a lot of front hooks off Weagles.....

Quote:
That's what makes it unique. It's a surface topwater WTD bait but with the weight displacement 1/2 or a little more of the body is under the surface.

hence the solid oak... natural ballast, makes sense. ever seen a weagle with a ballast weight insert, you know the kind you screw in? i put one in my bait for the heck of it and was just wondering. your the weagle man so i figure you would know. i just hope ''she'' or her sister (or both) grin like the sound of oak.