• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Duck/Goose Calls

Just getting into waterfowl hunting and I'm wondering what types of calls are used, manufacturer, model, single vs double reed, etc? Are their advantages of one over the other? Anythign to help mne decide what to purchase.

if your just getting into it go easy on price 50-75 once you get used to those calls move up to the acrylic ones a good start on the short reed goose call would be a tim grounds super mag. and a poly carb fred zink for a duck call. I use single reeds when over big water and double reeds for little sloughs. good luck and practice practice practice!

Double reeds are more forgiving than single reeds. You should really go and try out a bunch of different calls. Not all calls fit everyone. The best calls out there are the ones that fit you. Nobody can tell you what the best call is! Only you can find that out yourself. Go to Cabelas,scheels, Sportsmans warehouse,GAME FAIR!! Good luck in your search!

I'll tell ya the best calls (for me anyways).

Sean Mann Eastern Shoreman goose flute is the call I started with...I now blow a short reed instead...a Tim Grounds Super Mag. Each one costs in the neighborhood of $50.

The Haydel DR-85 is a cheap call at about $12 but it sounds great and is used across the country by A LOT of duck hunters...and it pulls in birds! It is a double reed, just as my other duck call is...a Primos Timber Wench ($15). I also have a couple Faulk's duck calls (Single Reeds) that are made of wood and are cheap and effective as well.

Have fun shopping!

a primos timbe wench is a pretty good sounding cheap duck call; as far as goose calls goes, i will agree learning on a polycarb is probably the way to go...two poly carbs ive tried that have produced quality sounds are the buck gardner canada hammer, and the poly grounds super mag. the biggest thing is to understand that it takes a lot of practice to do some of the stuff you might hear and see on tv; get with somebody who is a good caller and get some hands on instruction; if you cannot do that, there are many different call companies and accomplished callers that have cd's and dvds full of beginner and advanced instruction.

Go out and try as many calls as possible and choose the one that fits YOU the best. Not what everyone else tells you to buy. The calls that fit me are Zink Calls. I blow the Little Man, Money Maker, and PH-2. For this coming season I am adding the new Open Water Power Hen. Double reeds are easier to blow for beginner callers, and also have the pure duck sound. Good luck and let us know what you choose!

I think it's hard to beat the price of Echo's duck calls for the quality you get. A great sounding call can be had for less than $30. For goose calls, Tim Grounds Super Mag is a great call for around $70. The customer service is outstanding, I've talked to Tim's son, Hunter, both times I've called.

As mentioned, stick with the poly calls at first and as you get better or more into it, and start finding the brands you like best, then you can go to acrylic (which is certainly not neccessary).

I have used nothing but Primos calls. They are easy to blow and don't hurt the pocket book, unless you get into the acrylics. They are a good sounding calls. Like everyone has said find the call that fits you best. Always try a call before you purchase it.

Gotta agree with most of the advice given. Double reeds are more forgiving and thus are easier for the beginner. Don't know if I would spend too much money as a beginner on a call. Lots of 20-40 dollar calls out there to get started on. Practice is key.

Get hooked on the sport, get hooked on the calling side of it...then I'd be convinced to spend the money on the top end, locked cabinet, top dollar acrylics you see.

Just thought that I would throw this out at everybody. My dad hand makes goose and duck calls. All are made out of wood. These calls and hand tuned by my brother who is and excellent caller. I believe they are around $50-75. If anyone is interested let me know. You won't be dissapointed. I know that I won't ever buy a store boughten one again and I have got the high dollar ones and these are just as good if not better.

BLOW THEM ALL!

At Game Fair....go there and you can talk with most of the actual call makers themselves. Most will cut you a deal, all will help you learn how to call, and you can get a ton of other stuff too.

The best call maker in the world Jeff Foiles will be there for sure...The best caller in the world Barnie Calef will be there as well. You can get the information from them. Those guys kill piles and piles of ducks and geese every year and are the best source of information.

BLOW THEM ALL!

At Game Fair....go there and you can talk with most of the actual call makers themselves. Most will cut you a deal, all will help you learn how to call, and you can get a ton of other stuff too.

The best call maker in the world Jeff Foiles will be there for sure...The best caller in the world Barnie Calef will be there as well. You can get the information from them. Those guys kill piles and piles of ducks and geese every year and are the best source of information.

Interesting bit of advice there.

I would go to game fair and try out different calls. For me I like calls that are hand made not CND'd like Foiles calls.

For a first timer I would got with a DR-85 by Hydel, great call for $12.99

Go down to Pittsfield, IL where Foiles calls are from and tell me they are CND'd.

Those calls are tuned and refined quite well.

They also put out a consistent sound that is the best in the business.

That's not to say that other calls are no good. There are some handmade calls that are top notch and while I don't know about the Hydel call, I'm sure it's great. Knight and Hale also has some good calls.

No matter what you do, spend time with your call listening to real ducks (before the season) and try to mimic their sounds. That's the best teacher you can find and when you are just learning to call, it's more about what you can do not what you are doing it with.

You don't buy a concert piano when you are just taking lessons....get a cheap keyboard, see if you like it and are any good, and then when you are, step it up.

I know it's been said but you have to try as many calls as it takes until you find one that sounds good and that you can blow well. The flute is probably the best way to learn how to goose call and there are tons of different ones.

My favorite now are free style calls of of St. Joe the acrylic goose calls sound good and are fairly easy to blow, but they take a while to get used to i'm still learning myself wink

I really doubt that Foiles hand turns each of his call on a lathe. I'm sure he take the CNC'd barrel and insert, polish the acrylic and tunes them. Not taking anything away from them just pointing it out.