• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seal the driveway?

Gus

Is sealing a blacktop driveway worth doing?

My house was built in the mid 90's, my driveway is original. It's still in pretty decent shape. A few cracks here and there but nothing too bad. I just got two quotes to have it sealed next week while I am on vacation. I thought this might be a good time to have it done. The wife is asking why is it needed? I guess I really don't know if it is truely needed or not.

Let me know your opinions.

Also, if you have used Seal King or Jet Black for the work, were you satisified? Anyone used both and would recommend one over the other?

Thanks!

The seal coating process fills in the cracks, preventing moisture from getting in them. The moisture in the cracks is what causes the asphalt to break up during the freeze-thaw cycles. Plus, it makes your driveway look pretty. Jet-Black has a owner/operator in Wyoming, can't think of his name, but he does good work.

In my opinion its nothing more than a facelift.It sure makes it look pretty but its not much more than paint.Dont ya think if it really worked you would see large parking lots,State and counties using it,read the ingredients asphalt is petroleum Product.A good ploy to get homeowners to SPEND.

I do mine every year, for $25 its nice to have it look good and helps the drive to last longer. We have people in the neighborhhod that don't or haven't done it and you can really see the difference. Not to mention just this year one of them replaced their drive after only 12 yrs. cause it was a disaster.

Sealing a driveway is a good way to keep it from degrading over the years. Bituminous is a petroleum product but it is not entirely petroleum and is still prone to breaking down from sun, salt, and rain. You do see municipalities sealcoating but not the same way a homeowner would. Most of time it is more of a re-surfacing with pea-rock on top of the sealcoat. That way traffic is still able to drive on it immediately. If 2 neighbors build a driveway at the same time and one is a faithful sealer and the other one isn't, the sealed driveway could last as much as twice as long as the unsealed driveway. As the price of bituminous keeps rising you'll see more and more cities sealcoating. Having a road last 5-10 years longer easily offsets the cost of sealcoating.

If 2 neighbors build a driveway at the same time and one is a faithful sealer and the other one isn't, the sealed driveway could last as much as twice as long as the unsealed driveway.

Could you refer me to where this info comes from? I'd like to read it.Please dont refer me to a company who produces sealers!

I put that "could" part in there because I have nothing 100% about it but I have seen driveways fail in as little as 6 years. In that I mean where it cracks and deteriorates beyond repair. The homeowner stated he never thought he had to sealcoat, that it was only to make it look good. His neighbors houses around him built and paved at the same time, they sealed and their driveways were still decent, not the best but decent. I had a feeling that the pavers were using a low-grade mix but either way the whole idea is to prolong replacement which sealcoating does.

Just doing a quick google search I came up with a few sites on the benefits of sealcoating.

http://www.mrparkinglot.com/web/sealcoating_benefits.htm

http://www.pavecoat.com/benefits_of_sealcoating.html

I know these are companies trying to sell a product but what they state is true.

In my opinion its nothing more than a facelift.It sure makes it look pretty but its not much more than paint. Dont ya think if it really worked you would see large parking lots,State and counties using it,read the ingredients asphalt is petroleum Product

So this is your opinion,Have you thought it may have been a poor lay of asphalt?Which there are numerous factors that could make installation faulty with hot mix.You may want to consult a asphalt mix plant,then make a opinion of painting a drive. Mr parkinglot states they service costomers in the tri state area,I'm sure he would take any work he can get!Even if it is misleading Its a bussisness.

pavecoat is a manufacture well if I made it I'd push it also!

Like I asked a credible report or test results not manufactures or appliers.

If you search maybe a testing labratory,and find anything positive for sealers for asphalt PLEASE POST IT.

So this is your opinion, Have you thought it may have been a poor lay of asphalt?Which there are numerous factors that could make installation faulty with hot mix.

Moreso a personal observation of the exact scenario you described. I am only giving you the results of what you asked for. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I think that the likelyhood is very strong when using the same contractor with the same people, in a situation so similar that the results would have been similar. The fact that I sealcoated a few times is the only variable I can offer... draw your own conclusions. Obviously you are convinced it doesn't help, my own experiece has shown me it does. Other than a possible "poor lay" can you offer any other of the "numerous factors" that would contribute to the difference when all the other variables were the same?

Here's the MNDOT handbook on sealcoating. It has some good reading in it.

http://www.lrrb.org/PDF/200634.pdf

I'm MNDOT certified in both bituminous mix and placement. I've gone to college to learn about construction materials, I like to think I know a little about it. How much does that same bit plant that says not to sealcoat benefit from redoing your driveway or road? Where are you basing your information off of?

Mac it wasnt directed at you but at someone who doesnt like my tone.So beyond that unless it has improved much a few years back I did research it from lab testing, it neither had positive or negitive results other than appearence.Inother words it does'nt do much. BJ I also have experience in construction over 29 years of which a California state inspecter in construction,Also retired my Mn state inspecters license a few years back.Along with ,mulitple corses and credits in all facits of construction.Do you know of any credible testing labs to back your tone.

This is a friendly site if ones thoughts, opinions or even rambling upsets you maybe your too high strung and should learn to accept others.

I apologize for the tone comment, but from my end you were coming off pretty brazen. A guy was asking for advice,I gave some knowledge and you seemed to jump all over it. Everything I've ever seen or done still supports that sealcoating does work. A while back I had a good conversation with a top MNDOT materials analyst and he said he wishes more people would get on board for sealcoating. It could potential save a lot of money for the state. The problem is most of the funds the state has are being directed to reconstructing old roads not maintaining others. Does California not do sealcoating? Do you have links or anything information that I can look up that backs what those labs determined? I've never came across anything or anybody that has said sealcoat does little to nothing.

I've seen many driveways that have never been seal coated and are junk between 8-15 years after they were installed. On the other hand, I've seen 20+ year old driveways that are seal coated every other year or so, that are in great shape. It is sure a cheap way to keep a driveway looking good compared to $3,000+ for a new one.

The Seal-King bid was $75 cheaper. $220 vs $295. We went with the cheaper bid this time. If I'm not satisfied I may try the other company next time.

Its all a waste of money, sealing it doesnt prevent it from anything. Yes it will look pretty for the summer and fall but next year the seal coat will wear away and it will look worse than before. If you think ur driveway lasted longer than ur neighbors bc u sealed it, your wrong. It all denpends on your base, compaction, material, and what u use it for. Maybe in spots your neighbor only had one inch of mix in spots.

It'll look decent for a couple months and then it will look even worse next year. You're better off never putting anything on it. Actually, you'd be better off with a concrete driveway (Duracrete) and if done right, it'll look great for years and years.

I agree with the fact that it will fade in a couple months.

But also if your going with a prof company you have to wonder if they have different levels of "stuff". When you go to a box store, they have 3 or 4 different kinds of stuff in the buckets. So which company is going to use the good stuff and who will use the cheapest "paint".

I guess the biggest thing is to get a bucket of thick crack filler and fill any cracks in your pad to keep the moisture from getting down under it in the winter. that will heave it and cause more cracks.