• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digital Cameras?

Captain B.R.K

This is my own opinion, I do not work for Sony! I bought their DSC-P92 Cyber shot. It is a 5 mp dig cam, that also takes Mpeg movies (short ones). I like the camera, but think I would have been just as happy with a 3.2 megapixel Cybershot. Which in turn would have saved some $$$. What I do like is the ability to plug into the pc, and upload my pics without doing much more. Also it came with a cord to plug into the tv to do a slideshow, or show the mini movie clips I take. Another bonus is being able to use rechargable "AA" batteries. I forgot to charge them for X-mas, so I just used ordinary "AA"'s. One suggestion...get the bigger memory stick! I bought the 128mb stick right away, and have yet to fill it up! The 16mb that came with it is nice, but not nearly big enough in my book. Check the prices in the stores, then check on HSOList! You can really run into some good deals there, just look at the sellers feedback rating before bidding on it.

BB customer service is a sham--they always try to make you buy their bogus "extended Warranty" programs, if you don't, they hang you out to dry when you have a problem.

I logged onto broadway camera and got a NEW 3.2 Pixel Canon for $189.00--the best deal on the planet.

They also have refurbished units even less money. Check them out....

------------------
Chells

BB customer service is a sham--they always try to make you buy their bogus "extended Warranty" programs, if you don't, they hang you out to dry when you have a problem.

I logged onto broadway camera and got a NEW 3.2 Pixel Canon for $189.00--the best deal on the planet.

They also have refurbished units even less money. Check them out....

------------------
Chells

I have a 3.1 megapixel made by Kodak and that is good for pictures up to an 8x10. It takes great pictures and didn't cost an arm and a leg. I figured that I wouldn't need any pictures bigger than the 8x10, so I decided on that one. When you buy one, don't worry about how much digital zoom it has, get one that has at least a 3x optical zoom. If you have some that you want onto paper take the memory card to a photoshop and you can have them developed. I have had some done at Wal-mart and they charge $.26 for a 4x6 picture.

Capt. - We bought a Cannon Power Shot A70 - 3.2 pixels and 3X zoom, can play/record short MPEGS (if I would read the directions...) and got a larger memory card.

Wasn't cheap, but likely the last camera I'll need for a good while.

I just recently bought the Hewlett Packard and it matches up to all above stated. The 3.2 mp is plenty for normal shooting. The reason I went with the HP is it's so easy to run. Get one with optical and digital zoom though. I only got the digital zoom and wish I had more zoom. Good luck.

I have a Canon PowerShot on my desk right now...a very good camera. At work, we have a Sony, which is also quite good. I could recommend either one of those.

I would echo the suggestion above to get a bigger memory card. Also, get one where you can download photos straight from the camera to the computer (via a USB port) rather than needing to remove and re-insert the card. You will get better quality photos that way.

I picked up a kodak 5mp cam a few months back. the pic quality is nice in all light situations, i have tried from outside in sun to in a dark fishtrap the pics have really impressed me. easy to download pics to pc too.

Chells - What kind of Cannon do you have, what's the model number?

For those that have digital, do any of you have a 2.0 mega-pixel camera?

My dilema is that the GF has a nice digital camera already that was $$$. I would like one just for hunting/fishing, in case it were to get wet, snow on it, etc. Plus hers was given to her as a gift so it has some other values to it.

What do you guys think I should do? Buy another one or use hers?

Thanks!

Its always nice to have your own. That way when you take off for a fishing trip you will be set.
I have the Sony DSC72 which is the 3.2. I find that I use it in the lowest setting for pics that I am going to post on the web. It takes less editing to get the file to a manageable size. I did upgrade to the 128 memory stick for use with the video stream feature. If you are taking fishing pics and will delete them from the stick after loading to your pc , then the 16 meg stick will be fine for your application.
I found the Sony to be easy to learn and use.
Dino

I bought my wife the sony mavica cd350 and we absolutely love it!!! takes excellent pics and the cd is so much better than memory sticks and floppy disc's 3.2 mega pixels Its really a sweet deal at 400.00 at walmart. We cant say enough about all the features and ease of use.

A good place to find the best price on a digital camera is at www.mysimon.com. The site searches multiple internet sales sites to find the best price available. There is also product description.

When it comes to best camera for outdoor/fishing use, I believe it is the Olympus Stylus 300 or 400. This is an "all weather" camera that is water resistant and seems to be more durable. It is also extremely small and light weight and includes a rechargeable battery.

Looking at some of these websites that have been mentioned, how comfortable would ya be to buy off of them? I see that the Cannon powershot 70, one I've been looking at, is $233. That's $60 less than Best Buy!!

What if I were to have problems, return policies, etc.
Always had a fear of buying on-line.

As you can see there about as many opinions as ther are cameras. I think that most of the mainsteam brands are solid and good performers. Personally I have the 3.2 meg-pix Kodak. I've owned it for a year and have lugged it everywhere Canada, BWCA, snowmobiling, ice fishing, family outings, etc; and, I haven't had any problems. I love this camera and now have excellent photo albums of my trips and family that I can zip around in email. I do recommed that you buy a camera with a dock and a rechargeable battery.

Anything over 3 megapixel will work for printing and email and posting. If you are looking for portrait, then get ready to spend some bucks. And don't froget a good printer also.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

Hey Captain,
Just a little more info to add. I own a canon A70 and love it. Haven't had any problems. 3.2 megapixels is great for up to an 8 x 10 (which I have done and they have turned out great). It has tons of features, plenty of simply settings or you can go advanced if you want to spend the time to learn it all.

If you are just looking for an outdoors camera here are a few tips I can provide:
1. 3x optical zoom or better (don't worry about the digital zoom)
2. get a 128Mb or 256Mb memory card
3. don't skimp on batteries (lith-ion camera would be great, otherwise get quality rechargebles)
4. Try and shoot for 3megapixels

Thanks for the info everyone!

CPRBASS- I was looking at the cannon powershot 70, could be the same camera you have.

Still going to talk to a few places (camera stores) before I make the purchase. All this information does help and is much appreciated!

Make sure to get @ least a 3 megapixel, and a 128mb flash card. I picked up the Canon A70 and really like it. It can with a puney 16mb flash card. Now flash media is real cheap, can get a 128mb for like 40 bucks or less.

good luck

Thought I would jump in here...I've owned an Olympus 2040z for about 3 years now and love it! Instead of buying it from one of those brick buildings I decided to buy from National Camera..the knowledge difference between the people working behind the counter sold me. After doing alot of online research before I bought and asking questions I found out that I knew more than most of the kids behind the counter at the retail outlets. Then I went to a real camera store and these folks really new what they were talking about. Back then I bought a 2 meg camera, which will do a nice 5 by 7 print quite nicley. If you look on your bookcase check to see what you actually have for pictures, Most of mine in the frames were 5 by 7 so that covered it. Now with the prices coming down I would recommend at least 3 megs if nothing more than for the purpose of cropping pictures.As far as zoom lenses go I agree with the masses here ..digital zoom means squat..go with at least a 3x zoom or better but remember..the higher the zoom you better have a tri-pod to support your camera or you're going to end up with a blurry mess.
Steve