• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
okstate

Getting a new dog

We are getting a ten week old Golden retriever puppy. My question to the board is.

how much training would you do with him before you sent him to someone that trains dogs for hunting? or would you try to do all of the training yourself?

just curious I have never trained a dog for hunting but sounds fun and challenging. but am leaning to sending him off to be trained.

any thoughts?

I recently trained my first pointing dog so I can't speak in terms of a retriever but I would assume some aspects are similar. I would expect that you need to decide to what level you want the dog trained, do you want a finished dog? That would be a dog that sits on a flush, does retrieves on hand signals, etc. Will it be for upland and waterfowl or just one or the other?

If the dog is to be finished then that may be a little much for a first time trainer. Again I've never trained a retriever. One thing you can look into is that some trainers will work with people during the week or on the weekends either in seminars or private/group sessions to assist people with certain aspects of training.

I was a little intimidated at first but I really wanted to do as much of it as I could to see how difficult it was. I found some trainers to work with a little but did the majority of it on my own. I found it to be an incredible experience. I really loved doing it. I think there's a certain amount of pride, reward, etc when you see them performing and knowing you were there to see them figure things out.

Training is time consuming and there is an everyday comittment so you owe it to the dog to do what's best for him to get the results you want. Most weaknesses in a dog are due to the trainer not the dog. That's true for any dog not just a hunting dog. As long as the pup has good instincts you/he should be fine.

If you expect a finished dog I would say atleast have a trainer to work with for the tough stuff. If you want a basic hunting dog then I would say if you have the time to commit to it then you could probably do it yourself.

Goos Luck

You should be able to train your puppy to sit (stay) come, down and fetch. I think the more work you put into training before you send your pup to a trainer the more results you will get.

Just like all the guys said. I all depends to what level you are looking for your dog to be at.

There are many levels of hunting dogs.

Good Luck with the new pup.

smile

I believe that you sould find out who the trainer is that you will be sending him to and find out the words that they would like to use. It makes it easier for the trainer if the dog donen't have to learn a new word for the same command.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Next up was installing the floor. We went with 3/4” marine grade plywood. I also coated both sides and all edges with a water sealer just to be sure.    After installing the plywood floor we put the furring strips in and ran the wiring.    Each wire goes back the front wall where I made a little panel. The front wall has an opening for a 55” TV that sits flush in the wall. The little squares above and below the tv opening are for in wall speakers.  This is half of the wires the other side of the panel has the other half.  This is all the positive wires coming through the front wall and behind the panel. I forgot to take a picture of the back of the panel after I cleaned it up and put the negative wires through.  Here is a picture of the front of the panel while I was booking everything up. All the positive wires on the left and negative on the right. My wiring is a lot different than most shacks. I’ve never made a panel like this before so I didn’t really know what to order. The terminals that the wires go into are called din rail terminal blocks the snap onto a little piece of aluminum called a din rail.  Later I found stackable ones that would have saved space but I like how it turned out. Each terminal block has a slot in it where you can put a jumper. So everything that was going to be on one switch would be jumpered together. Things on a different switch would be jumpered and so on. The terminal blocks have a hole on the top where one wire comes in and gets screwed down to hold it and there is the same on the bottom. So once the terminal blocks are jumpered to things you want on the same switch you only need one wire out the bottom. Things that were ran off of the switch went out the bottom and over to the relay board. You do the same for each thing you want to run off a different switch just run a wire to a different relay. The long green rectangle thing on the right is a relay board. Our house has 12 light switches not all of them are used yet but they can be so I bought a relay board with 12 spdt relays. The green square on the left is an arduino which is basically like a mini computer chip that you can program. I’ll explain more once I get to what our switches look like. The bottom right of the panel is for the trailer lights and brakes and all the stuff that hooks up to the truck.  I eventually replaced these normal terminal blocks with the din rail style.  Here is the wiring panel all finished up.  The reason for using all the relays and arduino was so I could use this light switch and eventually be able to control everything from a smart phone. In the fish house we have 2 of these switches which each have 6 buttons on them. Each switch has a set of cat 5 cable running to it. One set is connected to the atduino board and sends a signal saying the button was pressed.  The other cat 5 wire is to send a signal to turn on and off a little light next to the button when it is pressed   Here is the back of the switch. So basically how it works is the arduino has pins on it that can send or receive signals it also has pins that can send 5 vdc or 3vdc. So one wire from the arduinos 5 v pin hooks up to the back of the switch where it says sc (switch common 5v coming in). A different wire connects a different arduino 5 v pin to the terminal that says pc (pilot common which is just the little lights next to the buttons). So when a button is pressed a brief 5 v signal is sent from the arduino to the switch which goes through board on the switch and to the wire terminal that is for that button the signal is then sent back to a digital pin (receiving pin) of the arduino on a digital pin. The arduino has to be programmed to receive different signals on the pins you want. Once the arduino sees that a button was pressed it sends a signal over to the relay board saying a button was pressed close the relay that corresponds to that button. When the relay closes it allows the 12v to go to whatever you want to turn on. The nice thing about how this system works is everything can be changed in a matter of minutes. Say I wanted to have the ceiling lights be on button 4 instead of 1 you just have to change a couple of numbers in the code and plug the arduino into your computer and upload the updated code. I’m sure I lost most people right away and I’m not sure if anyone else would even want to do something similar but If so you can message me and I can try and explain it better. Before this I’ve never done anything like this so I had to learn all of this online and how to write little bits of code and do all that which was fun but also frustrating at times since I didn’t have anyone to go to with my questions.  Not sure If this video will work or not.  4B8EE058-806B-4BF6-8DD8-8FC76BE46BD0.MOV  
    • What is this?
    • Everything is going strong now. Been making salsa for the last week or so, have been doing abt's with the jalapenos,  thinking on letting them go red to spread it out a bit. The early girls are kicking em out but the big boys have a bit. Canned two jars of pickles with more coming down the pipe, but I'm gonna hafta start grilling some zucchini,  can only make so much bread.    Bell peppers seem to be running a little on the small side, starting to change colors but was hoping for some better sized ones for stuffing. Snap peas did good out of the gate but are trailing off already,  ya gotta love this time of year!!
    • juicy or freeze dried?
    • Most of the state has been experiencing sunny, warm, and beautiful summer days. The forecast predicts some rain over the next day or two, but otherwise it looks like warm temperatures and clear days and nights. Canoers at Mays Ledges at the Brule River State Forest.These mild and sunny days have been great for canoeing and kayaking and many river water levels are moderate and perfect for paddling. The lower Wisconsin Rivers is running just about normal for this time of year, with many sandbars popping up.Much of the state has been hovering at moderate fire danger this week, which means, in the right place, wildfires can happen. Nearly 60 wildfires have occurred across the state in July, mostly caused by fireworks or sparks from equipment. .
    • Looks to me like a great fishing cart...mount some pole holders on the sides and a cup holder for your beverage and life is good!!🎣
    • i still have some from 2016, most from last year yet but i like to stay ahead. how do they say it........i like to let them MELD!!!!!!!!!😁 that was a 1/2 bushel, smaller batches makes it not so over whelming. especially on a work nite. 
    • Nothing better then homemade pickles. We did 84 quarts last year but the kids didn't eat all of them so we are going to skip a year.