• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

skipping

evinrude19

i know there was something about skipping poles on here early but i couldnt find it so i will ask again. what kind of pole would you consider for skipping senkos under docks?

thanks

zach

I don't know about any of y'all but myself, I'm not good enough to recommend anything specific except that I use spinning rods and reels.I can just imagine the ginormous backlash I'd get trying to skip a baitcaster.

Is it me or is skipping a wacky rig set up a quick way to tear up softbaits?

thats mostly the only thing i use around docks and they tear like paper with out the o-ring! i am going to use a spinning reel but i had a inncident last week where my pole broke so i am need of a new one and want to a skiping one

If you arent skilled at baitcasters, i would recommend a medium action spinning rod. 5'6" or 6'. The only trouble with that is that unless you play the fish very well, your odds are not the best of getting it out of the docks. I have seen the benefits of using a baitcaster to skip (aka heavier lines) and learned how.

Just had a custom rod made for skipping - Rogue blank 5'6" med heavy action - spinning outfit. I put a Pflueger Supreme 35 series with braid on one spool and mono on the other. Retreive ratio is 6.2:1 on the reel so I can both horse them with the med heavy action and get them out quick with the fast retreive.

Baitcaster stick would still be better but this works pretty slick. I am still not good enough to skip a baitcaster without major "professional overruns".

I use a Berkley Lightning rod, 6ft spinning set up. I actually use only 6 lb line and use an ultra light reel. I haven't had too many problems at all, mostly just human error wrapping my senkos around posts and what not. I sometimes use my baitcaster, but mostly with bigger baits like jigs or something. I like my light set up and am more prone to fighting them out, rather than horsing them in.

Carl

I use a 7' MH spinning rod with 20 LB. fireline crystal. If the docks have a fairly clean bottom with clear water I'll add a florocarbon leader. If I need to wrench'm out I'll tie it direct. I'll use this for senkos, but most of the time for skipping I prefer a 4 inch tube with an internal weight.

I use a 7' Med spinning combo. It works well when I'm not too close to the dock. Then again I only have 6 combos so one will have something on it that skips well.

I skipped a few docks tonight and was suprised to see the quality size of the fish I was getting. All of my really good fish have been deep lately until tonight. Anyways....I skipped a comida under a pretty little dock and landed the piggie below on a 6'6" L L.Elite that I built (it's in the pic kind of) with 6 lb braid. It wasn't smart but it happened. I guess what I'm saying is don't be like me and go big or go home. Don't risk a quality fish to underpowered tackle. I am foolish and do it on purpose for the sport, but if you mean business do it right.

21.5"

picture009zt7.jpg

Now thats sweet right there! Did you let your hometown bass know you were coming back home??? smile

I'll always take braided line over anything else for docks. I use a 6'6" and 20lb power pro for my spinning most time with lighter lures.

I still skip heavy jigs with my flipping stick sometimes but I'm not as good with it as I used to be. You need alot of faith!

I am pretty sure nobody told these fish I was back in town! I just got back not more than two weeks ago and have landed nine 20"+ bass. I tell ya fellas...."It's good to be back!" Really though I think I taught myself a lot by trying to fish largemouth in the Duluth area where there just aren't that many largemouth period. Besides Chub Lake. Back to the skipping though....I do have a skipping rod for gettin' it done right. It's a 6' MH spinning rod with 30 lb power pro. It's a little dusty though. I'm with Gutz on the flouro leader too.

I see a lot of replies already, My main dock skipping rods are 7' MH spinning rods.. I would not suggest that for most, I am 6'3" almost 6-4... which helps in length of rod some.. but it also depends on the boat.. if you have a tin boat, I would go with a 6'... if you have a glass bass boat you can fudge some and go with a longer rod...

I use a 6.5 ft Med Heavy G-Loomis spinng rod with a MH spinning reel... I like the stiffer rod since I have more leverage to skip the bait..... Not a bad idea to practice away from a dock if you are just getting started... Good way to get the "feel" of it...

I like tubes with the hook inside the tube but I also use other baits... Just depends on what's happening... My biggest bass on Gull lake came 3 years ago under a dock on the north end of the lake skipping a tube... My boat scale said 6.25 lbs... It's still swimming if it did not die of old age...

Well seems to me like there is a ton of great information on dock fishing in this post. I have fished my fair share of docks and have a few close friends who have also won money fishing them. My personal choice varies depending on the dock and the baits be thrown. If you want a great weightless Senko spinning rod it is hard to beat the Loomis 852. It is 7' and skips a Senko a mile back under a dock, and the length is more of an aid in making those long skips and hood sets than a shorter rod. I also use a big heavy flipping rod for skipping when I an tossing jigs or heavy plastic, it takes a little practice, but I taught a 16 yo to do it, so why not you? Not on the spinning rod comes the decision. I prefer florocarbon most times because I like how it helps the bait fall, but have lost money to a good buddy who consistenly fishes a fireline 20# or 30# line. If using floro I will move up in spool size using a 4000 series spool. I have gotten cut off using floro on some docks where I would have most likely landed the fish with fireline. Using small rubber bands around the Senko, or Lakefork circle wgts can help save alot of plastic. Just my thoughts here for what it is worth.

Capt....thanks for the info... I will try a 7 ft Loomis vs the 6.5.... I also prefer florocarbon mainly because of its invisibility in the water..... I also use it drop shotting. I also have friends who fish fireline and really like it... I really go back and forth on line.... Line is a really good topic when discussing different situations.... With technology today we have a great deal of lines to consider...

AS far as tubes I really to prefer to Texpose the tube....Maybe because I fish a lot of very clear water. I also fish smallies in the river and Texposing tubes is terrific in fast water with rocks.

Looking at the weather forecast this coming week we should really have some great bass fishing... Stable conditions for the next 5 days or so... :o)