• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

George Crosby Manitou

MidCoast

Camping and hiking are nice but the fishing may not be the best. I only fished the lake once with no results and the river holds your typical small brookies. And they are few and far between catches. Beautiful scenery to be fishing in none-the-less.

Midcoast when will you be up that way? If your heading up within the next week, I'd happily show you some decent spots not too far from the park.

But yeah the parks since. I have only caught tiny trout from the rivers in that area. Go fish inland.

mid-- i haven't fished the river extensively, but have visited the park twice..... fished the lake once and didn't hook up with anything...... but i think the dnr stocks it every year with splake..... check the lake finder at mndnr for whichever lake that it (benson, maybe?)..... we probably weren't at the right depth-- i think the splake head deep in the summer...... maybe try some smaller lake trout jigging spoons or jigging with minnow or cut nightcrawlers and see if you can't nab 'em.... the lake's not that big, so once you find 'em, you should find a few more.....

the brookies in the river are by no means big, but both times i tried it, we caught a bunch of them...... biggest probably was 6-8"..... but they are a blast on a light fly rod..... just walk down to the bridge where the superior hiking trail crosses the river..... start there, find some deeper pools/runs and flick yer fly in.... they are pretty eager to say the least..... perhaps not big enough to eat, but lots of fun to catch..... and above the park, before the river takes it's big tumble down the canyon, the fishing is supposed to be better-- can't speak from experience though.....

beautiful park-- i highly recommend it.....