• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anti-squeak a deer stand

g man46

We leased a new piece of land last year and found it to be a heavily populated area, but the deer were hard to hunt as they all stayed in the thick riverbottom. The portable I had was too out in the open, and a ground blind would be worse for vision. The only thing I can think to do is to put a permanent stand (which we have permission to do) in a group of trees, as all the trees are too small or crooked to put a different portable in. We can drive it, but I don't like to do that until later in the season.

My question is, how can I make the stand not sqeuak or pop when it gets cold? Our other permanent stands pop really loud if you so much as blink. I dont know if it scares the deer or not, but it annoys me and it can't be good for the hunt. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Screws vs. nails, wood preperation etc... Also, does anyone have any suggestions for comfortable but maneuverable chairs/seats?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

We do not use a lot of permanet stands any more cause ladder stands are better for us but we have a few. What we have found is when you make them, put them in a group of trees but when you attach the boards to the trees use long nails and do not pound them all the way in. Leave about 1/4-3/8 in of the head stick out. That way when the trees move it does not pull on the nail. That has made our stands last twice as long and they do not make near as much noise.

My first thought if you can leave a stand there just use a ladder stand.

Hope this helps.

Froggy

I also like ladder stands for the simple reason that if the location isn't good you can move it. Plus permanent stands just don't last, the tree grows and sways in the wind, in 5-6 years you'll be questioning its safty and building a new one, plus you have the 'eyesore' left in the tree. I build my ladder stands out of treated wood and I have some that are 10 years old and going strong. To keep them quiet I always put inner tube rubber between the tree and the stand.

Thanks for the advice. We too mostly use ladder stands, but the trees area too small to use a wooden one. We tried a metal one last year and the way the deer travel, they are looking right at you on their way up and people were busted twice before they even knew anything was coming. So, I thought the seclusion of a permanent would be the answer. Also, this particular area is a historical deer producer, so I think that a permanent would be OK here, if we need to move, the other areas on the land can take ladder stands or portables.

I was thinking to use treated wood for it and carpeting it also sounds like a great idea. As for rubber between the tree and the stand...how about putting it between all the places where boards go together? I have family that work as mangement at a tire company, so getting it wouldn't be a problem!

i would recommend maybe gluing the floor system with pl 400 subfloor glue, then screwing everything together with grk brand screws. these screws are a little bit more expensive than standard drywall screws, but they are climatek coated and by far more durable. they won't snap in 2 when the stand moves from a blowing wind.

If you can get over it annoying you, just build it early so they get used to it and the deer won't mind it one bit, my stand is so loud that it too can drive me nuts at times, but I have had deer walk right under the base of my tree while it is creaking, it can help to hide some small noises you make.