• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pflueger Patriarch

NCLaker

Seriously considering this reel. Does anyone have any feedback on the performance of the Patriarch?

Love the feel, look, and size of the reel. I am most interested in backlash control. If I am going to spend $200 on a reel I don't want to have to mess around with alot of adjusting/experimenting of the brakes or thumbing the spool to prevent backlashes. It has both centrifuge & magnetic brakes, but I am a little skeptical of having to mess with both.

This is my first year committing to learning baitcasters, I have been using a Pflueger President (centrifuge brakes) that I feel pretty comfortable with. I am looking to upgrade and add another to the collection.

If I am going to spend $200 on a reel I don't want to have to mess around with alot of adjusting/experimenting of the brakes or thumbing the spool to prevent backlashes.

Never used this reel, but if you don't want to thumb the spool, don't buy a baitcaster!

Thumbing the spool to stop it at the end of the cast I don't mind. It is having to use my thumb to manage spool speed when the line is going out to prevent backlash I am still learning how to do effectively. I figure as I get more experienced I will get better at managing spool speed with my thumb to prevent backlash. But until I get more proficient, I would prefer to get a reel that will help me with this learning curve (without having to pay too much of a penalty in casting distance by having to turn up the breaks too much).

I really like using BCs with larger lures and bringing in bigger fish - but don't want to quit trying just because it is hard to learn how to use wink

I have 5 Pflueger Presidents and have been using this reel now for about 5 years.. The President has performed very well for me... I have not tried the Patriarch but would also like some feedback on this reel if anyone has experience with it.

I toss a lot of crank baits/spinner baits in my never ending search for bass and walleye.

Unfortunately, I am thinking the new president will not be in stores for a few months. I am hoping to find a solution now.

But I agree, it is a nice looking reel. Unfortunately it looks like it will be priced a little higher.

ANYTHING by Pflueger is well worth the money! In my opinion you can't get anything better for the money. I've been using their spinning and baitcasting stuff for 5 or 6 years and will never buy anything else.

Im sure its a great reel but havnt used it. I dont understand the point of having both a magnest and centrifugal brake system, overkill comes to mind but then again like I said I havnt used one.

I use mostly Shimanos with the VBS (centrifugal) set my reels to two pins up and rarely if ever switch it no need for the magnetic system which I prefer not to have anyways.

If you like the reel go for it but being new to baitcasters that reel isnt going to make it much if any easier to learn casting that just takes time.

Thanks TurnUp ... Does that mean on your 6 pin system, you only have two brakes on or two off?

My Pflueger President has the centrifuge system that I like. I started out with 2 brakes off (plastic thingys pulled to the center), and now feel comfortable with 3 or 4 off depending on the conditions.

I push two pins up/on and leave four down/off. I sometimes push three up when skipping.

I can do it with zero on but I have to thumb more than I care to and the little extra distance I get isnt worth it to me.

If you havnt figured out how to set the cast control knob by the handle yet figure that out and it will help decrease backlashes, too.

Thanks for the tips!

The more I use and gain confidence with the baitcasters, the more I like them. Put a lot of money into my spinning gear - I see that in the future these will be relegated to live bait walleye fishing, fishing real light stuff, and used for those really windy days.

Well, finally broke down and bought a Pflueger Patriarch reel (6:1).

Only used it for a day, but I absolutely love it. Spooled it with 12# Gamma Copoly and put it a on a 6'6" Med-Heavy action rod. I don't have a lot to compare it to, but seems to cast very far, very quiet, smooth and had very few backlashes (few when casting into the wind). Brakes worked great (has a combination of centrifuge & megnetic), was able to cast without having to mess with thumbing the spool at all to prevent backlashes.

I originally had Seagar florocarbon line on it - was giving me a little trouble so I moved it to my Presidential reel.

Very happy with the purchase - it is now my favorite setup.