• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Installed A New Stereo In My Boat! Speaker Mounting 101

Shack

Installed A New Stereo In My Boat! Speaker Mounting 101

I know this is old hate for some members, but I figure if anyone was wanting to know or about to do it, this might help. Installing the stereo control head is pretty forward. On mine, I had to fab a custom under dash stainless steel bracket, which when measured right on worked out great (hole positions and drop of bracket arm in relation to the bottom of the console rim. I did not get any in-depth photos of wiring, just and over view.

Starting the deck install!

q1z-SftB1nMKIV6mSAoE3ufcvUlCQj0n0300.jpg

Gett'in in deep with the deck install.

v1EAXKNh+4R0VrrHpsZxsOxqbcXqarki0300.jpg

Here it is, pretty much is installed.

tACBxgu6iBYs2L3rcHPHF1Q0JgtJsQBU0300.jpg

This is more to what this thread pertains to, the speak install. This is the way I did it, to minimize the chance of screwing up.

First, find a can or something round the size of the inner mounting rim of the speaker and trace an outline. Make sure the back of the hole is free and clear to allow for running wires. You have to make sure to allow enough room for the screws to catch the wood or fiberglass. If the hole is to big, the screws will not grad and you have to make a inside ring to hold speakers tight and use nuts and bolts.

it9-CtZJL3kgbYmd9ZyWyMENSBf31GwA0300.jpg

Next I used a hole saw bit to give me a good area to start cutting. Again, make sure nothing is behind speaker mounting area or drill will dig into it (I.E. battery or gas can).

oCJJnjodj0-sPP7Y6HElPvfhb+8ZcxYz0300.jpg

Next take a Saws-All with a fine to mod blade (so it does not catch carpet if you have it) and start cutting hole out. I like to stay on the inside of the trace pattern. Just incase, you alway rather remove some material than cut to much on the first path.

58iRbfA2ycRjV7VBGbriy0Of0SL1FwT70300.jpg

Here is the hole cut open. Remember, it does not have to look perfect, just enough to clear the mounting rim of the speaker and allow mounting screws to catch material to a secure hold. Note: the chunks on the floor in front of hole. I like to take a hole like this out in chunks. When you run the line of the whole pattern at once, you have more chances to mess up.

7msOJEhAzPEhcrO0sA1PiyvDp1pkum5y0300.jpg

Screw the screws in and you are ready to wire up and hear some tunes.

sS-fiwTc3uyaIiNaierpOUarHFGVPHn00300.jpg

Also one more tip from me. Find a deck with a remote. They seem to come with almost any deck now-a-days and I love mine in the boat. It was a major reason for upgrading my stereo grin

yAms1i3suTSbhgRMYWdNQQpjRuSMjxec0300.jpg

Thanks for the report Tom!

I figure the brand name has been a good one for years and I am glad some good info can be said for this deck. I is sure nice to play C/D's in the boat now. I have had cassettes for years and they sounded not the best. Most times it is just AM1500 talk or the twins. But is sure is nice to listen to a C/D now and then.

Nice job! Thanks for sharing.

I am looking to add two speakers to my pontoon boat. Any recommendations on how to cut the hole through the vinyl covering and rotocast for the speakers.

I'm nervous about cutting into the vinyl without shreading it. Kinda wondering if I need to cut the vinyl first, then cut into the rotocast as a seperate step.

If anyone has any advice and/or pictures of the steps, please share.

I put a stereo in my boat this spring. What a great addition!!! For anyone thinking about doing this, do yourself a favor and put it in a watertight enclosure. You will thank yourself in the long run.

Also, ahem...........learn how to turn it off. grin

I was fortunate enough to pick up a Clairion CD player out of the cabelas bargain bin online. That stereo is sweet! I also got two boxes of marine speakers. The only problem is mounting the speakers. The factory speaks were like 2" smaller, so I have to auger out the holes. Very easy on the passanger side but my side the speaker is mounted behind my kicker controlls and power switch and cig lighter outlet. There sure is alot of wires behind there. Not to mention working back there with the drivers seat being un-removable. I think I can do it though. Now to figure out where to mount the other two?

My hubby had the same problem, he finally made boxes for the speakers. Works great and when we want to, we can just pull them out so that everyone can hear some good music. Work well especially those early weekends when we want to share the joy with the large pleasure boats

Nice job! Thanks for sharing.

I am looking to add two speakers to my pontoon boat. Any recommendations on how to cut the hole through the vinyl covering and rotocast for the speakers.

I'm nervous about cutting into the vinyl without shreading it. Kinda wondering if I need to cut the vinyl first, then cut into the rotocast as a seperate step.

If anyone has any advice and/or pictures of the steps, please share.

NCLAker,

I put a stereo in our pontoon 2 years ago. I drew my circles, cut the vinyl with a utility knife and removed it, and then cut all the way through with a jig saw. Worked slick. I would not us a saw or drill through the vinyl. It catches and will rip.

RW is right on.

What I would do is take a little out at a time. Start from the center, or better yet draw a circle (under sized) in the vinyl and cut an "X" inside of the circle, so you have for triangles and then cut your circle out in chunks from their. Then do what RW just said for the inside stuff.

I would always stay under the size you need. You would be amazed at how well it will fit anyways grin. If not then take a little out at a time.

I have also had good luck cutting vinyl in the past with razor or a dog leg style material cutting shears.

Like Harveylee said, you do have some room for error.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

Anyone ever try using a rotozip on rotocast molding? I have both a jigsaw and reciprocating saw, but was thinking the rotozip may be easier to use.