• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm making a change!

DTro

talking about that shock load... WWG set the hook on one last Saturday, and broke the braid straight away..

I can see that, another reason to have some give in the tip of a cat rod.

I still think PP is a great line and don’t see a reason not to use it. I’m pretty sure most of my breakoffs this year can be attributed to the rocks I fish in and also the hookset (used circles last year).

I’m sure just going from 65 to 80 would’ve helped a lot.

But as long as I had to bump up to 80, why not try something new in the process and add another review into mix. I haven’t heard any bad things about Suffix, so might as well give it a shot.

Thanks to Ed for recommending it.

Oh and Fireman, IMO it is quieter going through the guides than PP. It could be because the coating hasn’t worn off yet…….stay tuned.

If I had any skill whatsoever, I would've been able to catch a fish over 15lbs in the past 3 weeks frown

At least I've been out there trying though wink

If I had any skill whatsoever, I would've been able to catch a fish over 15lbs in the past 3 weeks frown

At least I've been out there trying though wink

You have been trying and for that "I salute you."

My once a week outings.....thats what classifies me as a Wannabee....... and you the KING.... till tonight, I hope.

I still want my dollar. wink

I do not think it is in the same boat (no pun intended) to compared 65lb (heavily used in Dtro case) couple of season old Power Pro to any new 80lb line super braid (I think that is the stats).

My High Vis 80lb PP is working out great for me and I noticed a very big change when going from 65lb last year to 80lb this year in snag break off’s.

I am open to new lines. I tried the Cabela’s house brand 80lb braid this year (the black and yellow twist) and I found this stuff does loose integrity after several uses. Much so, it broke off when snagged on small tree branch a couple times this year. I do not think I will respool with this brand again. Most likely I will try Suffix, but if 80lb PP holds up like it has, I can not see why I would want to switch. IMO

I have no loyalty to any product. I just want it to work grin.

I do not think it is in the same boat (no pun intended) to compared 65lb (heavily used in Dtro case) couple of season old Power Pro to any new 80lb line super braid (I think that is the stats).

My High Vis 80lb PP is working out great for me and I noticed a very big change when going from 65lb last year to 80lb this year in snag break off’s.

I am open to new lines. I tried the Cabela’s house brand 80lb braid this year (the black and yellow twist) and I found this stuff does loose integrity after several uses. Much so, it broke off when snagged on small tree branch a couple times this year. I do not think I will respool with this brand again. Most likely I will try Suffix, but if 80lb PP holds up like it has, I can not see why I would want to switch. IMO

i think you are comparing to diffrent things. One being linr weight and the other being the construction(dacron,nylon or spectra,kevlar). The fiber makes all the diffrance. I think your house brand is dac or nylon. both of them can break down in UV light and rot. More so then super lines(spectra,kev ext.....)

Next, we (most of the time) fish in current. This adds resistance.

That's one of the reasons I am going to mono with my channel rod. I am dropping down to at least 20# test too. I do a lot of shore fishing and I think at times a braid hinders me. However the flat rod will remain braided with 80# test. There is just no other way to go.

Are you filing the burrs off of your no-rolls. I pour all my own and notice occassionally that there is slag left near the line through hole. Sometimes this is sharp burr of lead.

I have a small round file in my sinker box that I use on every weight (ideally anyways)

Next season I'm give Suffix a shot. Last night I had another break off on the hookset. mad It broke off above the swivel so I lost everything. About two hours later I would find out how far above it broke. Z was sleeping in the boat as usual grin when he got a run and quickly awoke. He sets the hook and brings it up boatside, and then I see some hi-viz PP coming from its mouth. I look at my rod holder and it didn't appear it wrapped up in that line. I knew right away that was the fish I broke off on! Took my 10/0 out of the corner of its mouth and started pulling in the line and it must of been about 12 feet or so as it came up a few feet short of front to back of the 16 foot boat. I've got PP on 3 of 5 cat rods and the other ones with PP I haven't really had any problems. Maybe just a bad spool? confused Looking it over I haven't really found any visual defects, but it has happened a few times more than I'd like to remember this season. frown

The PP seems to have weak spots randomly spaced in it. Just a matter of where. Odds are there are a lot of weak spots in non-critical places like near your backing, or line still in the package. Breaking off down near the hook and sinker will happen. No excuse for line blowing up that far up.