• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm making a change!

DTro

No, I’m not taking up Bass fishing…..shame on you.

Nope, I’m taking the advice of a few here and I’m switching to Suffix brand braid in the 80lb yellow hi-vis variety.

Go ahead and tell me “I told you so” I have it coming smile

For the past few years, I’ve been using 65lb Power Pro and have probably broke off 6 or 7 times on the hookset this year.

While I attribute most of these break offs to fishing in rocky areas, I cannot ignore the fact that it’s happening. I think the reason I’m seeing it more prominent this year is because I used primarily circle hooks in the past and never had any kind of a hookset that would give it a “shock” force.

Going to 80lb is a step in the right direction as far as abrasion resistance, but as long as I had to get new line anyways, I thought I trust some good minds and go with the Suffix.

It’s currently on order and should be able to hopefully put it to the test this weekend.

I agree that it will be Suffix next year when I purchase new line for me. I question that the break off may be due to the no-roll sinkers sliding up and down the line and slamming by the knot at the swivel and then creating a weak spot.

I don't know but have been retieing all my lines after each night out at the barrel swivel to see if this helps.

I might have to follow. Missed a channel yesterday after I had inspected the line. Their was no evidence of the knot unraveling and I wasn't fishing around rocks. The break was fairly clean, I am guessing at the knots cinch or just above it. All it took was a couple of head shakes and it was off right after the hookset. That shouldn't happen. I'd have been better off with 20# mono. In fact, I may go to lighter mono for the channel pole. I just talked myself into it.

I have heard a lot of buzz with the new suffix braid hopefully it is a s tough as the advertisement. my line if fairly new maybe next year I will make the change as for right now both of my rigs have pp just different color one white and one yellow in the 80lb form. I have a back up 4000 spininnig combo with 65ld moss green.

I have a rod spooled with 65 sufix Hiviz and have no complaints about it wat so ever. I was fishing a very rocky area and had a couple of break offs while I was using my 65PP. It's hard to say this, but I truly believe it's better then PP.

With a baitcaster, why not 100 or even 130lb? Even on a spinning reel I would guess, but don't know, that 100lb would be fine - you only make a couple lob casts per night.

Where I live they shut down two gander stores to open a new super gander. I checked it out and ended up buying a baitcaster reel that has the clicker so my next step was to check out the line available. They had Suffix and PP but no spools larger than 150 yards, I asked the guy stocking shelves. Who wants a knot in the middle of a spool? Smart move ordering.

PowerPro ROCKS! 80lbs test line check your knots each time out and switch line each year= NO problems. Sounds like you are all looking for sponsors. Truth is they are both tough and will work just fine. Good luck and hope your line doesn't break on your first hook set guys as going back isn't cheap whistle

Glad to see everyone is coming around cool

lol I also joined the 65 lb suffix bandwagon. I also broke off on way to many fish early in the season with the Power Pro, I haven't broke off with a fish on yet.

PowerPro ROCKS! 80lbs test line check your knots each time out and switch line each year= NO problems. Sounds like you are all looking for sponsors. Truth is they are both tough and will work just fine. Good luck and hope your line doesn't break on your first hook set guys as going back isn't cheap whistle

Well I intend to put this to the test. I was praising PP up and down at the beginning of the year, but am getting tired of the break offs. I witnessed it again last night....but this time it wasn't me whistle

With a baitcaster, why not 100 or even 130lb? Even on a spinning reel I would guess, but don't know, that 100lb would be fine - you only make a couple lob casts per night.

Ever try breaking that stuff?

We are dealing with 2-3 snags a night or more.

Yeah, I was hung up on some rocks 2 nights ago and I thought I better check my line. Nothing major, nothing that looked like it needed to be re-tied. Well, 20 minutes later I set the hook on a SMALL fish (couldn't have been over 10 lbs), and my line snapped halfway between my hook and my swivel.

This is year-old power pro, mind you...but it was re-spooled backward, so the stuff I'm using never saw the light of day last year. Not good for 80 lb line.

Basically, that says every time you touch a rock, even if you get out of the snag, you need to re-tie. Maybe instead I'll switch to mono leaders.

Someone STOP the bandwagon! Its running away! grin

Couple things to consider:

- 65lb line is NOT 80lb line. Not a good comparison, even within the same brand of line.

- Braid does NOT stretch. The rod & line work together as a system. Stiff rods are really a braided lines worst enemy. Stiff rod + braided line = go a little easy on the hookset. There is a lot of force applied and something has to give.

- Knots. Most knots don't hold with braided superlines. I think most of us tie the Palomar. If you aren't, your knots are slipping and coming undone.

- Always check your line for cuts, knicks, abrasion, and wear. Retie often. A plastic bead or small piece of surgical tubing between the swivel and sinker goes along way towards protecting that knot.

- Drag. Considering a braid doesn't stretch, its best to err on the conservative side with a lighter drag IMO. If enough force is exerted, even 80lb will snap. Line is tough but its not sevenstrand wire.

- Leader material. Its best to tie your leaders with fresh line off a spool kept in your tacklebag. However, I'm guilty as heck of not doing this, I strip a couple feet of line off my mainline to tie my leader with. Well... thats going to be the most abraded part of the line and now I'm using it as my leader.

The 80lb PowerPro on my rods is 1-1/2 years old now, some of you may remember me respooling at the Sturgeon Excursion 2 springs ago. Still the same line.

I can't wait to hear some reviews of Sufix from some of the people I trust here. However... it'll be a review of brand new line. It should perform great, right? The real test will be after a full summer of use, is it still holding up?

It'll be awhile before this debate is ever settled. grin

On a sidenote, I think Cortland Masterbraid is another superline worth a looksee. A full morning of casting BullDawgs with this line has me in love with it.

Someone STOP the bandwagon! Its running away! grin

Couple things to consider:

- 65lb line is NOT 80lb line. Not a good comparison, even within the same brand of line.

- Braid does NOT stretch. The rod & line work together as a system. Stiff rods are really a braided lines worst enemy. Stiff rod + braided line = go a little easy on the hookset. There is a lot of force applied and something has to give.

- Knots. Most knots don't hold with braided superlines. I think most of us tie the Palomar. If you aren't, your knots are slipping and coming undone.

- Always check your line for cuts, knicks, abrasion, and wear. Retie often. A plastic bead or small piece of surgical tubing between the swivel and sinker goes along way towards protecting that knot.

- Drag. Considering a braid doesn't stretch, its best to err on the conservative side with a lighter drag IMO. If enough force is exerted, even 80lb will snap. Line is tough but its not sevenstrand wire.

- Leader material. Its best to tie your leaders with fresh line off a spool kept in your tacklebag. However, I'm guilty as heck of not doing this, I strip a couple feet of line off my mainline to tie my leader with. Well... thats going to be the most abraded part of the line and now I'm using it as my leader.

The 80lb PowerPro on my rods is 1-1/2 years old now, some of you may remember me respooling at the Sturgeon Excursion 2 springs ago. Still the same line.

I can't wait to hear some reviews of Sufix from some of the people I trust here. However... it'll be a review of brand new line. It should perform great, right? The real test will be after a full summer of use, is it still holding up?

It'll be awhile before this debate is ever settled. grin

On a sidenote, I think Cortland Masterbraid is another superline worth a looksee. A full morning of casting BullDawgs with this line has me in love with it.

I have been using the stuff for two years now. I haven't broke off or respooled either. Everything I said about it this spring was after a year of using sufix.

Quote:
Ever try breaking that stuff?

Tough crowd to please, either it breaks too much or not enough crazy dtro, with that 100lb stuff you can bring the snag right in the boat and relocate it to a top secret spot grin From shore if you brace yourself I haven't found a hook yet I couldn't straighten out with that stuff. From a boat its tricky as you'll pull the anchors around.

Need to develop a lure retrieving type device that will go down your line to the snag and then cut it.

BTW - how was the trial run with the 80 sufix?

Very impressed. I like how round and smooth it is. Almost reminds me of large mono or leadcore.

Can't beat the bright shiny sparkly spool it comes on either grin

It doesn't lay quite as tight on the spool, but still worked ok.

Strength wise, it will take a little getting used to on breaking off the 80lb. I pulled the boat off anchor last night frown

Always match the line and lure weight to the rod you are using. If you over load your system you will start breaking equipment. That statment makes a rod builder cringe. I do want to know if the suffix makes a different sound in the guides.

Things to think about. Line is rated static and dry, meaning a weight hung in suspended fashion and the line being well.....not wet(water will weaken braided rope....that is not much diffrent then the super lines)

Next, we (most of the time) fish in current. This adds resistance. Think of tying a gallon bucket to the line at the end of your favorite flat rod and just hold it in the current(some what close to the same serface area as Eral)

Another factor is the weight of the fish or snag,rock,car,tractor ext.

These are your statec forces.

Now, add in the fish swimming the other direction(speed of drop we will call it)

And then your hook set(the Hanson technique)(JK)

In rope rescue this is reffered to sa shock loading. It is the force that is exerted when a load drops and then hits your system. The same thing as hook set and fish movement in this case.

This affect can amplify your statec force many many times.

So, 80# PP meets a huge hook set and a fish in current. Well you can under stand the forces.

Now how do we combat these forces. This is where the equipment comes in. Hanson did a great job explaining the systems.

The rod is a shock absorber. This is your first line of defense. Like Hanson stated(no stretch line with no bend rod = Broken line or rod)

Somthing needs to give. If you consistently brake off you probably need to change somthing. Keeping your line weight in the range of your rod desigh will keep you (in most conditions)from rod devestation.

And lastly the drag. This is your fale safe. I thumb the spool then i set the hook. so in my case it dose not do much.

Think about it.