• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Bemidji State Park...shore fishing

tsewdim

Hello all,

I'll be camping at Lake Bemidji State Park next weekend for the first time. Any good shore spots? I know the lake is pretty huge, so would fishing from a canoe be possible? Bemidji is a musky lake, but we're happy to catch anything at all. Are there any fish in Big Bog Lake inside the park? No secret spots needed, just general areas, tips, etc...

Thanks!

We've always done well going up the Mississippi where it enters the lake. Tons of nice-sized panfish and bass. Maybe you could drive over there and put in some place near a bridge or something. I don't remember if there are any accesses on the river itself.

I have stayed in the park a few times and I have seen some nice northern and bass right off the pier the park has. Also the park rents little row boats which work great if you have a trolling motor or a smaller outboard, if not rowing is always an option. I have fished a couple big lakes, cass lake wich is near there out of a canoe. It is possible but they can get pretty rough at times so if there are caps on the lake or its a windy day it may be pretty difficult. I have actually done well drifting and trolling right in front of the parks beach down to the nearest point. That would be going right from the pier ( looking at the lake) We drifted anywhere from 6 feet to 18 feet and could catch as many perch as we wanted and the occational walleye. Good luck

Just got back an hour ago. We fished by the fishing dock right in the park. It was too windy over the weekend to get on a canoe. We caught mostly perch and rock bass and one largemouth. There are a ton of leeches in this lake.