• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mille Lacs Muskies

MUSKY18

Has anyone been out on the big pond recently chasing? Other than Steve Jonesi, I don't know if anyone has been seeing/catching fish or not. For those of you who don't know, Steve guided a client of his to a huge 56.5" muskie last week. They still in the weeds? Has the north end started to heat up at all?

Bret, my buddy went up there this weekend with a couple guide clients to go after a few. I should have a report in the next day or so. That 56.5 was an impressive fish, and hopefully by November it will be the new state record. She needs to bulk up, but it could happen. Couldn't really tell from the pic but was she a bar or spot fish? Do you know?

Does anyone know where I could see a picture of this beast? I lost a monster last summer on the north end when it would not fit in my BIL's net so I was wondering how it would compare....

the only picture that I know of right now is on Muskies First. Look under the Steve Jonesi Rocks thread and they have a pic of the fish, guide and client.

We've been catching fish out there on a pretty regular basis. A few lost ones as well. All of our fish are coming from the weeds. Seems to be very little going on yet on the rocks, or on the north end. Nothing huge yet...but just a matter of time!

Rebel......congrats on your trip with Jonesi in Oct. Bad news is that you are going to be about 28 days shy of me catching her!! Got Jonesi out on the pond for the 16th of Sept, during the full moon, so we will have to see how she goes!

Plus as an added bonus, I get to spend an entire day in the boat with Steve during Operation Muskie, so you bet your behind that I will be picking his brain like none other. By the time he gets me off the water, he might not want to fish with anymore cause I won't stop asking questions!!!!

Thanks Bret... You're more than welcome to catch her... but bad news for you, she'll have 28 extra days to BULK up some more, and we both know she'll BULK up in between, thanks to the depression/embarrassment of falling for your lure, you know how women can be whistlewink... Keep in mind she'll add 2-4 inches to her overall girth come the time I catch her on full moon on Oct 14th... and I'll be happy with that grin

As for picking Steve's brains apart... I think he lives for that... otherwise he wouldnt be the guide so MANY wants to fish with...

Bring back some excellent stories/pictures from the Operation Muskie excursion... Many including myself are eagerly awaiting for those...

Quote:
Muskyman, looks like east side, just south of a large point, with a great sunset in the bay

Very funny!!! How would ya get a sunset on the east side though?? wink Gotcha!

I'll be out for a day with Steve in 2 weeks. I'm taking my 17 year old nephew, it's a Golden Bday present for him, as he's my godson. He's got a couple high 30s fish, but hasn't cracked 40 inches yet.

Sure I know the lake well enough to do it on my own, but what a great memory for him, and cool for me to let him have the front deck to himself and have Steve give him the one-on-one guide service. Plus, Steve is flat-out a hoot to listen to for a day! I'm on vacation the week after too, so prefect timing for me to get a gauge on what's working for the week after.

Yeeeeeeaaaah man, he's boated a few big fish the last couple years too!

Mille Lacs was "good" the last few days. I was up Tuesday night, Wednesday, Thursday and this morning. Saw quite a few fish, couple biters but none in the boat. I screwed up royally twice on boatside hits. Plenty of follows, but not many that were right on the bait.

Fished with Jonesi Wednesday night, Steve's awesome. Saw that 56" fish swimming yesterday morning several times, it's just stupid how big she is. Saw some other one's too that are just in a whole different size class from anything i've seen in the cities. That lake is just nuts. Too bad they're all so friggin tight lipped.

Caught a bunch of walleyes and smallies too, great couple of days on the water. Yesterday was the best, the lake was pretty much flat from 10am onward. Took my little boat all the way across and back without issue. Don't expect to do that again anytime soon.

Jeff, what rig do you run, and were you fishing alone? We were up there Wed all day as well, nice not having so many boats out. Saw Luke R's client boat a 53" right in front of us that evening. Reel blw up on the fight, but landed okay. Also saw a pig on Myr Mar rock reef, just laying there givin' us the fin. Caught a few smallies middle of the day, biggest 21". Had one follow and saw two others.

Cool, even without boating one, sounds like a good trip. Those smallies are a blast!!!

Well stated: "That lake is just nuts." Good part now is an upper 40 inch follow doesn't make ya nervous anymore! One day on Mille cured me of that syndrome!