• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

i pod help

Snowking

There is some software called Anapod Explorer so if you google it it will be no problem to find and it is made by Redchair. It should allow you to reload your files back into your computer so you will have a backup. You will have to buy it but if I remember the price was not that bad.

I'm pretty you can do it without 2nd party software if not there are free utility's that can.

I want to say you can open up the I-Tunes folder on Your I-Pod and just copy or drag and drop them to I-Tunes.

I'll See if I can't find you step by step instructions.

DO NOT sync your POD with an empty I-Tunes music list or the songs will be gone forever!

The whole copy the music files from you iPod to iTunes doesn't work. Been there, done that. I just reloaded all the music from the CD's. That way I could not load the ones I didn't really listen to as well. Phase out the old and bring in the new.

It absolutely works the question is does he have to use 2nd party software to do it. Apple does make it difficult to do because of copyright issues.

Try this it has worked recently for people with similar problems to yours.

First of all, your ipod should always be enabled for disk use although this method has been successful on ipods that haven't been enabled, you do this by selecting your I-Pod in I-tunes and checking "enable disk use".

First, plug in the ipod (of course). When Itunes asks about erasing and syncing and the transfer purchases question, click cancel. Do not do anything that will erase the ipod! Next, open the ipod with Windows by going to my computer. Windows sees the I-Pod as a drive, open it, and inside of it is the itunes music folder,open it. There you will see the entire library by artist. Sometimes its scrambled but it doesn't matter. You may have to go into properties and select show hidden files also.

Now, your gonna open up the itunes music folder on your PC by going to my documents>my music>itunes>itunes music or wherever you have the folder on your PC. Now with both the itunes music folders open side by side, drag and drop them from the ipod folder to the PC folder either one at a time or go to edit and select all (depending how fast or slow your computer is -out of 5000 songs my slow H.P. laptop could only do 100 at a time).When you finish that, disconnect your ipod and open up itunes. Click on the music tab. Now drag all your music from the itunes music folder in windows and drop them into I-tunes. Let the computer do the rest.

Give this a try if doesn't work I'm sure someone here will have a free solution.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how things go!

well guys i talked to the people at the apple store and they said the only thing i tunes will replace is the songs that i bought. which is a good thing, but the bad news is that out of the 825 songs i have 35 or so are bought. so ill be sitting at this computer a long time downloading all my cd's.

polarsusd81 i weed out the songs i dont like before it makes it to the i pod. never know when you might need one of them pick me up songs.

pierbridge i tryed what you said but when i go to "my computer" it doesnt show my i pod unless its in a "devices with removable storage" and when i clicked on them it kept telling me to put cd in drive.

thanks for the help everyone. keep it comming!! i dont want to download all them cd's again.

as a side note i will always back up my tunes from now on even if its only one song

chad

my wife was having problems with hers and so she tried calling apple for some help. she then waits on hold forever so she can talk to a real person. then, she finds out that because she bought it more than a year ago, she would have to pay extra money for customer service.

Tisosy, this could be a dumb question but if you plug it into your computer are you making sure when in Itunes to disconnect from itunes instead of just unplugging it? Mine was doing that for awhile because i wasnt disconnecting from itunes, just unplugging right away. Might help not sure.

Guess I'm not sure what Tisosy is saying here.

Are you saying your I-Pod won't power down at all?

Of course you have tried the obvious by holding the play/pause button down and you haven't accidently moved the key pad lock switch have you?

I would go ahead and set it back to the factory default using I-Tunes.

Or it is powering down after you turn it on?

If thats the case it's usually the battery or charger!

Snowking glad you have all your CD's to load again, if you would have un-installed I-Tunes your IPOD would have shown up like a normal drive.... APPLE makes it very difficult to get music off of our IPODS.

And depending on which software version you have on the IPOD the above posted method may not work for retrieval but there is 2nd party software both free and pay that can get your music back.

Offhand I don't know the name of the utility that I used. i know that it is free, and it dumped all the songs into a different folder named IPOD backup.

So it is possible, and it is pretty easy.

Tisosy, I had a similar problem with my iPod Video one time. I was flipping through my pictures and it locked up on me. It would not shut down, tried everything and nothing worked. I had to let the battery completely die before I could turn it back on. I let it wear out, charged it up, did a reset on it, then let it wear down again to recharge it. After that it worked fine again, and hasn't happened since. P.I.T.A.

Thanks Polaris and Dtro!

Polaris did you do the reset on the IPOD it self "physically" or did you reset it to factory settings using ITUNES?

I know there is a key sequence to do it physically but i can't remember it.

I've seen this before I believe you have the songs stored in more then one folder on the IPOD or multiple copies of the songs so it thinks its full.

I think the answer is restoring the POD back to factory settings using ITUNES.