• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A little studio work

I was messing around in my "studio" (I use that term very loosely) today. I asked my son to come down and sit so I could get my lighting set right. I told him he didn't have to smile or anything but he grabbed his little buddy and made some great photos for me. This is my favorite. The second is a self portrait in high key. I was thinking about something like this the other day so I thought I would try it out. It's different but I like it. Let me know what you think. I'm a real novice with lighting so ANY C&C is appreciated.

100452570.jpg

100453003.jpg

Mike,

I love the pose in the first shot. Here is my C&C on the lighting. The one big thing its missing to me are catch lights. To me they add that life and spark in the eyes that enhance and give vitality to the subject. Light was camera right and high. Lower that light a bit to get the catch lights and reduce the shadows under the eyes nose and chin.

I like the second shot, its a cool look. I think I would stick with black and white and not use selective coloring on the eyes though.

Way to keep working and trying new stuff with the lights. Adds another thing into the photography bag of tricks.

Really, pretty good. In the first photo, I tend to like a portrait not quite so bright - but that's personal preference. You were able to get some great color, and nice even lighting. I always like high key stuff, and this one has a great "artsy" look to it.

Thank you very much for the compliments and the c&c. I can't believe I forgot all about the catchlights. Doh! I did a little rework on the self portrait and I think I like the rework better. I agree with the selective color, Dan. Thanks again.

100467370.jpg