• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stainless Steel Prop

forest2482

Just wondering what you think a stainless steel prop would do for my boat. I have a 2004 17 foot Smokercraft with a 115 merc and can get about 43mph with the original prop and I'm looking to get alittle more. Also which would you recommend? Thank you

1st off 43mph for your boat is about norm especially if your running a alum prop. Thats actually very good for a alum prop with that rig.

I have a 17' Lund with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke and get 45 tops with a 13 by 17 stainless.

Call Jay Soderbloom and ask him your questions and he will set ya up at a great price. He is a sponsor of FM as well. www.soderbloom.com

Definitely contact Jay if you're serious about upgrading. All 13x17 SS props are not the same, and he'll help you select and tweak a prop to do just what you need for your rig.

I tried on my own and didn't fair so well, so simply do it right with an expert and save yourself time and money in the long run.

43 is pretty good, sounds like you want more motor if you looking to go faster. What the hurry, slow down and enjoy the scenery. Seriously, I'd stay with the aluminum over a slight increase in speed. Better a new prop than a lower unit.

Big thing is your RPM's at Wide Open Throttle. It differs with each motor size and brand so make sure you know yours. If yours is a Merc 4 stroke I think its 6400 RPM's at WOT but Im not positive so make sure you check.

You want to run as close to max RPMs at WOT as you can without losing speed and steering. You will find a "sweet spot" that your motor seems to run best at with a certain prop while getting best RPM's wich should give you peak performance.

Call Jay he knows his stuff and can tel you more in 10 minutes about props than I could in 10 pages of typing.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.