• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spark Plugs

My 2000 Silverado with the 6.0L had the AC Delco Iridium plugs in and trying to solve another problem I changed the plugs. The parts store said the Champion Double Platinum would work the same. I am not convinced. The idle dropped down a bit, but other than that they seem to work OK.

Anyone know what the the preferred plug is for that motor? I know the Iridium is pricey, but if it works better....

I'm getting ready to replace the plugs in my 04, and I'm planning on going with the Delco Iridiums. I've always gone with the OEM replacements when changing out plugs.

I bought the truck used, so I am not sure what the OEMs would be. I am guessing the iridium would have been tho, but you would think the parts guys would either know or be able to look it up.

If I am correct, the emission’s tag under the hood should also inform you of what plug should be run in the eng…

Yep’er, stick with what came from factory. At best, check lights may come on if you do not, that or running issues and poor fuel econ at the worst.

I guess I shouldn't listened to the guy at Checker crazy , he recommended the double platinum as direct replacement. Live and learn.

Not to slam Champion, but I wouldnt put Champion plugs in any vehicle! Except maybe a Dodge. Maybe a lawn mower if I needed a plug that day and they didnt have NGK!

Stick with the O.E's and there should never be an issue.

Champions are for dodges, many GM's are starting to use NGK's wich are typically a japanese plug of choice. Autolites seem to work well in fords and under no circumstances should you put Bosch plugs in anything except a European vehicle that calls for them no matter how good the parts counter guys says they are!! mad

Funny story for ya. A Tahoe came in the other day after the customer decided to replace his spark plugs and "torques" them down. After snapping the nut end of the sleeve of in one of the cylinders he brings it in. After further questioning we find out that he thought the torque spec was 120 ft-lbs! After trying to remove the rest of the overtightened plugs and having three more snap, both cylinder heads where removed. The customer was informed that the torque spec ranges from 11 to 15 ft-lbs, and snug with a small ratchet was more than enough!!

Quote:
Funny story for ya. A Tahoe came in the other day after the customer decided to replace his spark plugs and "torques" them down. After snapping the nut end of the sleeve of in one of the cylinders he brings it in. After further questioning we find out that he thought the torque spec was 120 ft-lbs! After trying to remove the rest of the overtightened plugs and having three more snap, both cylinder heads where removed. The customer was informed that the torque spec ranges from 11 to 15 ft-lbs, and snug with a small ratchet was more than enough!!

LOL! eek

Quote:

120 ft lbs?? Wholly carp!!!! Not too many things out there are torqued to 120 ft lbs, at least not that I can think of. You think porcelain would have made him think at least a little. I just snug em up and give em a little more to be sure there is a seat.

On another note thanks for the info....just gonna cost me what I put into the champions and a little time to pull them out and screw the new ones in.

Ya, just think how tight they would have been if that one never snapped and it made to its next tune up grin

Wonder if he has done this in the past with other Veh.. It is funny how things are handed down from father to son or veh. to veh.

Good story Air!