• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dunns River (Sandals)

hartner62

Just wondering if anyone has ever been to Dunns river in Jamaica and if so did you get out fishing? The wife and I are heading there on Jan. 2nd and she gave me the go ahead for fishing. Just trying to figure out if it is worth the $160 per person. Thanks ahead of time for any info. you guys/girls might have.

I got married there, actually. But we didn't go fishing. If I went again, I would go fishing though. If you haven't been there yet, it is worth it to get up early and go on the walks trough the hills with the local athletic dude. You get some good info about the locals and the area.

edit: by local "athletic dude" I mean the Sandals "athletic director" or whatever he is called, who runs the gym. At the time, they oprganized an informal morning walk up the hill behind the resort, and he showed some of the cool local areas. For me, it was a bit uncomfortable after dark, with all the "Cool Bobs" and "Cool Joes" trying to peddle you any drug you could imagine...

Also, do the snorkeling right away when you get there. We waited until near the end to do that, and I wish I would have started it earlier, and did it every day, or at least more than I did.

Also, the drink "wild Horse" my wife thought was called a "white a$$" the whole time! ha! The bartender and I kept laughing every time she ordered one! smile

I was also married there a couple years ago. We had a lot of people with and did not get the chance to fish. would love to though. IMHO Jamaica is the best vacation spot, the people are great and love to party. My only recomendation for you is any activity you do there do it through your resort. Enjoy!

Went there during spring break time a number of years ago. Went fishing and caught 1 barracuda on our boat. Pretty disappointing. Later we were told that we were fishing during the wrong time of year. I don't know that for sure or not, but I wouldn't go back and fish. There are plenty of other super fun things to do.

Fishing there in January should be decent, I went to Ocho Rios and fished out of that area and we did well for mahi, tripletails and snapper, there are sailfish, marlin and jacks off the coast as well but make sure you find a reputeable charter before you pay to go out. If I could remember the name I'd give it to you but have the old brainfart going right now. The plus side to staying at the Sandals resorts is you can run over and visit each one, the gof and tubing are tops and of course the fact you can walk up to the grill at anytime of the night or day and eat! Have a super trip!

Tunrevir~

Thanks for the info guys. I'm just looking forward to the nice weather in the middle of the winter and hopefully catching fish. We don't do any drugs so thanks for the update on the locals at night but thats kind of what I was expecting since Marley is from Jamaica.