• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Over heating/ Panting?

tealitup

Even when the weather is cool my one year old lab seems to pant alot - and for long periods of time.

After maybe two minutes of exercise I can bring her in the house and she will pant for easily fifteen minutes.

Is this normal?

do you notice anything else about his behavior different? if not, then i wouldn't worry about it too much. my dog does the same thing.

next time you're at the vet though, just bring it up, or give him a call.

Even when the weather is cool my one year old lab seems to pant alot - and for long periods of time.

After maybe two minutes of exercise I can bring her in the house and she will pant for easily fifteen minutes.

Is this normal?

My dogs are also panting an extreme amount. It seems after five minutes of exercise they will pant for an hour. The vet diagnosed both of them today with a tick borne disease - anaplasmosis i think. Both dogs are on frontline, too. I started giving them meds tonight for three weeks.

tealitup how is your dog doing?

I thought anaplasmosis should be treated for 4-6 weeks. I highly doubt that anaplasmosis has anything to do with a dog panting. 90 percent of dogs with this or lymes are never treated and live just fine as their natural imun system fights it off.

Black Lab, summer heat = Panting.

Let us know what you find out?

I just brought my dog to the vet yesterday; was worried about over heating/panting. The vet checked her heart for a murmur - negative. Blood work showed no abnormality, but have not had all of the tests.

He stated that a sign of a stressed respiratory system for a dog owner is to simply look at the tongue. A nice bright pink tongue means good oxygen absorption.

He thought that some labs pant from excitement - and their personality can increase the panting. If anything comes from the blood work I will share.

Interesting post... I've been curious about my yellow lab's panting habits as well. He's nearly 3 and seems to be panting too hard and for extended periods of time from minimal exercise. Other dog owners think it's abnormal but I'm not sure what to think. He's my first lab and appears to be healthy overall and hunts/plays hard. Maybe just a lab thing...

The vet did say that alot of panting is one thing he hears alot of complaints about it labs. Maybe it is a lab thing.. he also said personality and over exaggeration could be part of it. I know my girl is a ham!