• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you guys put Ranger boats in a class of their own? Or is it just me

ZEEK1223

The very first boat I ever purchased was a '98 Warrior. I don't want to even get into the problems I had with that boat as they were numerous. The fit & finish were horrendous as well. The layout was extremely poor too IMO. The seats - worthless. There was only 2 things I liked about that boat and that was the ride. That boat could take waves like it was nobody's business! The 2nd is it was dry. With the full windshield, you just were NOT going to get wet in that boat. I'm 100% sure there have been upgrades and changes made to their boats now that it's 10 years down the road. However, from a personal standpoint, I will never own a Warrior again.

I've never ridden in a Ranger before, but they seem to have just about all a person could want. A few changes or mods would be nice to see, but that's where customization comes in.

Do I think Ranger is in a class of it's own? No, definitely not. But I do believe they are in the top of a rather short list. My next boat (wife willing) will be either a Ranger 1850 Reata, 1860 Angler, Lund 186 Tyee GL or the Triton 192 Allure. More than likely it will either be the 1850 Reata or the Lund GL.

Fortunately/unfortunately, I have 6 more years to do my research and make a decision. smirk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, everybody that dosen't like the Rangers talks about the price. Has anybody but me compared a new 20' Pro-V IFS to a 620VS? Both equiped the same you are within 2% of each other. Now look at a 5 year old Pro-V and compare the trade in value to a the same size Ranger, equiped the same of course and you will see the Ranger more than 5% ahead in both trade in and retail. Get outside of the upper midwest and the Lund value drops bad. One thing though, is that Ranger does not build entry level boats, so you can't really compare the cheaper Lunds since there is nothing to compare to.

I also noticed that there must be some people that are comenting and are unaware that Ranger makes both bass and multi species deep V boats.

I have been a long time (20 years) Lund owner and my next boat will be a Ranger. I think that there are some other boats that are as good (Warrior) as a Ranger but the resale isn't there. If you are going to keep it for 20 years it's not that bid a deal, but if your not it's a big deal, especially when you are talking 50 large.

To the Pro-V guys, I challenge you to fish out of a 619 to 621 sometime, especially on something bigger than 20,000 acres. I would bet that 50% of you would be checking out Rangers for your next new boat.

eyepatrol, where have you been? Nice to hear from you again.

I think you've got it right. Ford/Chevy thing? Absolutely. Everyone has their favorite and nobody is right or wrong because it's an opinion. We all like to brag up our stuff because we feel we made the right choice and what I like might not be what you like and vice versa. Guilty as charged. It all boils down to what you feel fits your style of fishing and if you'll be happy with it at the end of the day. Some like this, others like that, and they've all had their problems of some sort or another over time either because of operator neglect, inept dealers, or factory mistakes. All you can do is narrow your list down and then pick each one apart until you have a compromise of what works for your needs and then cross your fingers that it works out as planned.

It doesn't do any good to rip on manufacturers, but that doesn't mean you can say what you like or dislike about something in particular as long as you give a good reason behind it so that maybe someone else reading it can say "hmm, never thought of that before, that is/isn't a good design". That's where some benefit can come into play when hashing out different equipment choices. Even with that, this is still the internet and you have to take all of it with a grain of salt as someone may just be trying to grind an axe. All you can do is look for patterns and repeated claims of specific things failing to draw somewhat of a conclusion.

Is my boat perfect. No. But it fit what I was looking for more than other brands so that's why I bought it. I challenge anyone to say they have the perfect boat. A friend and I always have this discussion when talking boats and in the end we decide that there IS no perfect boat. I'd like to take things from a Warrior or a Yar-Craft and incorporate them into my boat. Or maybe change the layout by moving a livewell or changing some storage around, whatever. Ideally it would be great if they offered a modular type design that allowed you to configure a boat to your preference, within certain guidelines of course. But, costs would skyrocket for that flexibility so instead they roll off the assembly line pretty much identical except for accessories and paint so we have to make compromises and make a decision on what's available.

As they say, whatever floats your boat. (pun intended) smile

Spent a couple weeks getting ready for Canada, then spent a week in Canada, came home to a burnt up hub assembly so now I'm outta commission until I can get that fixed and back out on the water. frown

So, I just haven't had anything to report on....locally. smirk

BTW....I think you summed this topic up very well. I could go on and on about the problems I had with my previous boat, but there's been so many changes to the new ones now, it doesn't pay to hash them over in detail. But, a bad experience can and at times will turn a person away from a certain brand as it did with me.

The more I think of it, the more I think my original thought/comment in my previous post is innacurate. All in all, I just don't think any one brand name can be put at the top of any list and have the others fall beneath it. A smaller brand name boat like Mirrocraft might be somebody's top class boat while for others, it might be a Ranger or Lund or Warrior or Sylvan. If a person feels they have a top class boat and love it, then that's what it is for them. It's more of a personal ranking/rating than it is a generalized ranking/rating.

Get real!!!!!!

C'mon muddog... some people are just victims of circumstance! laugh

When I was about 20, I got hooked on bass. Partly because my first real bass fishing trip was in newer 360 Ranger with an XR4.

I looked at my finances when I got home and decided I could afford one instead of buying a house.

I went down to the dealer and picked up a used 335 with a 140 Evi. Fished with it that season and decided to parlay my next year's raise into a new 482V with a 150 Yammi. 1990.

Still got that boat and finally took it out of the garage for its once a year run on Tuesday. She still rocks even though she's a bit frayed on the edges. 12 years of tournament fishing will do that to a boat. She's been semi-retired for a while now.

I keep saying she's going up for sale but have to find the guts to let her go.

The4thof2008013-1.jpg

The4thof2008015-1.jpg

The4thof2008014-1.jpg

And this is a tin boat guy that got to come with that night! gringrin

He's not for sale though - he keeps me laughing!

The4thof2008016-1.jpg

To end this, I fish out of 16 foot Lund Rebel now. About the same age. We go North for walleyes these days.

The "PERFECT" boat depends on who's using it. I've ridden in many different brands and all those owners where proud of their rides too.

I wonder if I should've bought that undeveloped lakeshore lot on Minnetonka for 20 some K instead. confused

DOH!

You cant compare a tin boat to a glass boat. Just different animals all together.

Lunds hull is in my opinion the best tin hull made. Very nice boats and I own one.

On the other hand Ranger makes a very nice boat and I wouldnt mind having one if I could afford one. However if I did have the $ for a new Ranger I would prbably go buy a Triton 1st. I just like the height of the gunnels better and they ride just as well as a Ranger in my opinion. Some say faster too.

Lots of great Glass boats out there. Ranger, Triton, Yarcraft, Skeeter and Warrior are all nice glass boats.

Lund, Alumacraft and Chrestliner are all nice tin boats.

ANY boat can fill up and have motors quit in a bad storm or just by operator error.

LMITOUT-For the record, I don't appreciate being laughed at because I think Warrior makes a better boat, you have your opinion I have mine. I fish out of an old tin can Lund Rebel and couldn't be happier.

I'll change it up, more money for the same amount of boat and a cocky attitude.....

Sorry you feel that way. Looking back I can see how you took it out of context as I didn't finish my thought like I should have. With your blanket statement I had to laugh because I thought oh, here we go with Ford/Chevy episode #6,898,234,523,234. I could smell the embers smoldering and figured that would probably be the ignition source.

That would be Ford vs Chevy episode #6,898,234,523,235 but 1 may or may not count because it had to do with who makes a "prettier" truck, and the consensus was "who cares" so you may be right with #6,898,234,523,234....

A lot of good that "rally cap" did me that night. Guess I will have to go with the "white trash" hat from now on.

Anyways... We all know a boat is only as good as you make it, be it glass, tin, or even wood. (Side note gotta love a good wood boat) If you are over boated it will show, I dont care if it is a ranger, lund, or an inflatable with an electric motor. The boat dont make the man.

BTW "trolling" is a good method of generating a lot of bites. Worked on all of us. wink

If we dunk one of the recycled beer cans in the Rum tomorrow - DON'T BRING THE WHITE TRASH HAT!!!!!!! I think you have some special grease in that one that you wipe your baits on. gringrin

Its just not fair! cry

Zeek, congrats.... Nice avatar of you puttin your foot in it too. wink

I have been out of town, only to come back and see the moster that I have created. I didnt see this coming, I guess It is like a ford/chevy debate. There is no answer........

I would take a YarCraft 1895 Storm or 1890 warrior before a Ranger 618 T anyday. They both have alot more"fishing room". and I believe they handle the rougher water better.

You see more YarCrafts and Warriors on Mille lacs than 618's.

The 620T and 618T haven't been offered for very many years unlike the other manufacturer's, so naturally you just don't see as many around. I think quite a few people are jumping into the big tiller craze and going right to the 620T with the bigger HP offering. I've seen a number of 618T requests from people looking for used ones, but since they really haven't been around that long only a few have now started to trickle out to the classifieds.