• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sumthin' a bit different

From time to time some posters stray a bit from the outdoors with some shots. Have been doing some graduation shots in my studio and have been thinking for a couple of months of a new kind of image for me. I've seen similar before, but came up with my own idea of how to accomplish it. Let me know what you think. Canon Mark II, ISO 200, 17-40mm f/11 @ 1/250. Used 1 strobe at 1/5 power. Dark room, black backdrop.

Ryan-11x14.jpg

Ken I really like the idea. I just am not to sure about the lighting. Couple of thoughts come to mind.

I think you might use a bit more light on the dark side of the face. I would like to see at least a faint light on the left side of the face. Just a white board or reflector to throw just a small amount of light to the left. Possibly a low power on a flash camera left.

With dark backgrounds and dark hair I like the idea of at least a soft rim light from behind to give just a bit of definition and separation from the background.

I see where you are headed with this, I just think it could be more powerful with some lighting tweaks. As always just my opinion, you may have done exactly what you wanted here. Do you remember the three swimmers in a pool I showed you a few months back? Black swim caps against an underexposed background. Strong lighting right with a bit of reflected flash camera left from a silver reflector. I see a similar lighting scenario in this shot.

Thanks, Dan. I remember your shot and alluded a bit in that I'd seen similar before. Thanks for the C&C. I do have some foamboard and will give that a try on my next one (tomorrow)and see what I like better.

I like to mix it up with adding reflectors, no reflectors, more lights, etc. It fun to do and only takes a minute or two capture a frame or two with different looks. Sometimes you get a real surprise that you didn't expect. And some times it flops.

I think its great you are doing some different looks that most senior photogs don't think of. Keep em' coming! Are you up watching the All Star Game as well? What a game! AL wins it in 15 innings!

Quote:
maybe a bat as a prop?

I agree, Deitz. This would be a better shot with a bat on his shoulder. I will be asking my next subjects to be bringing bats, helmets, hockey sticks, etc.