• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Abu REVO survey

BassProAddict

There are currently several Abu Garcia REVO models.Each has its own characteristics and of course, price tag.

There are the SX,STX,SC,Premier,Toro,Winch and the Skeet Reese.

I want to buy one.But which one??? I'm willing to go up to $200 but do I have to? If it depends on the prupose of the reel, let me just put it this way...I'm looking for a good all around REVO reel but will mostly be used for cranking and deep cranking.

Anybody have REVO experiences?

I have a Revo S I use for chatterbaits and X Raps for eyes and so far like it. I have a Shimano Curado 300 DSV muskie reel though if their smaller reels are like my 300 and I have more uses for a small baitcaster thats what I would have.

I have heard good things about the Revo S as a good all around reel. If you were doing mostly cranking i would recommend a reel that has a 5:1 Gear ratio. The Revos do not have that.

Actually... I just found out that Revo has a new reel... The winch. It is specifically made for cranks and is already out in some areas. It has an oversized handle to make the cranking easier. Thats probably a good choice if you are looking at revos.

5:1 is slower, the spool spins five times for each complete crank on the handle. 7:1 is faster, again, the spool spins 7 times for each crank of the handle. For deep cranking a 5:1 is probably your best bet.

I think 7:1 is overkill for any cranks even shallow but thats just me...

Lower gear ratio's are beneficial for cranking because it takes less effort to crank a low ratio reel. As you know, there is a lot of torque on a crank bait, specifically deep divers. Lower ratior reels is just easier on a guy doing it all day.

Speed is affected of course, but anyone can speed up or slow down a reel of any ratio, so that's not the main reason.

I run a Curado 200B38 which is a 3.8:1 ratio reel for crankin anything over 4' or so. It is nice to have a slow ratio reel for them as Fluker said cause a deep crank will wear you out using 6.3 or higher. If you can find a 5.0 or lower, they are ideal.

I have a revo s......all I can say is it's SMOOTH! Never given me a problem, drag is quiet and tight, and it is very small....great for palming. I use it for cranks and plastics. I also use a shimano core...but its a bit too much crank for finesse fishing. Its a great bang for the buck reel!

I am looking at adding/upgrading my current baitcasting reel inventory. This is my first year using them and it has been a lot of fun learning to use them.

I like the small size of the revo's and they seem to be getting good reviews. Don't have any personal experience with them but if I get one I am leaning towards the SX or STX - I like the external mag break adjustment (kind wish it had more visual queues on the setting, just shows min/max).

I'm debating on holding off because I would like to check out the new Shimano and Quantam reels when they are available, and possibly the Pflueger Patriarch.

Does having the gear ratio at 5.something restrict it to cranking? I'm looking for a crankbait reel as I mentioned but I'd also like to use it for spinners and poppers.

I'm starting to lean towards the REVO Winch.Is this way too specialized aka restrictive?

Smallie - What pflueger baitcasters do you have that you are comparing it to. I have a President and was curious for comparison.

I think the Revo S uses a centrafuge brake system (pins), instead of the external magnetic brake adjustment. How does it work for avoiding back lash (especialy with wind) & casting distance? If I go the Revo route, I am trying to figure if it is worth the extra expense to go to the sx or stx.

Not on their staff, but our college bass team is sponsored by Pure Fishing. The benefits have been pretty good so far and now they want to really start promoting some of their newer products through our team which should be pretty fun.

Same here...except that I'm also willing to go premier or winch.

You might want to go to the tackletour HSOforum they give a nice breakdown of the new revo reels. There pretty hard to find in stores, but I was just at Joe's and they have the new Skeeter Reese and Winch reels.

If you are looking for a 6.4 speed reel, and have the money, the Skeeter reel may be the one to go. Based on the Premier so it is very light, but has more bearing. Also has a larger crank that feels pretty nice. If you are looking for 5.1 speed then the Winch is the option to go with.

Let us know which reel you end up with and your comments. Good Luck!

Recommend you stop at Joe's to check them out in person. From most reviews I have read, it looks like most of the Revo's have had good feedback, especially if you are looking at the higher end models.

BPAddict - check out the recent post exchanges with Dietz - http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1419696/2/Casting_Crank_Rod

He comments specifically on using the 5.x vs 6.x speed reels. Based on his comments I will be looking to go with 7' MH Compre TC4 crankbait rod with a 6.x reel (I don't typically do a lot of deep cranking). My budget for a reel is $200 or less - If I had to make a choice today I would probably go with the Revo STX (Skeeter/Premier out of my price range).

For now I will be using one of my old reels on the new rod. I plan to look at and check out reviews on the new Curado and new Quantum Energy PT before I make my final choice. I think these reels seem to be similar class reel, new design looks to be similar in size to the Revo's.

NC for plueger i have 2 purists. They are alright for the money. Last year I took them apart and when I put them back together the drag wasn't right and I had to make a washer to shim it out. The revo I couldn't figure out how to get to the 6 pin. I have not even moved them just used the side control with all types of lure weights. A guy at work bought a s after I told him about it. Then he went back and also got a sx. I am not sure if the sx and stx are worth the extra money.