• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The narcotic effects of ice fishing

Bogsucker

A little prose by Jim W.

Lake of the Woods/ March Ice Fisherman’s Lament

I can’t stop thinking about LOW!!! I have slipped too far in to the dream cone, though enjoying it ever so. I need to step foot onto the hard layer of water that hides beneath a yield of fish, paramount to biblical proportions! Fish with large wielding teeth, fish with thick backs and colors represented in the rainbow. I envision fish that fight and fish that are savored among a team of hard water hunters.

Upon it’s frozen shelf we stand in wonderment, and crouch in a electronic daze! The feeling of societal abandonment, survival, comfort and exhilaration simultaneously
Merge to form the revelation we have some to know as….”The March Trip”!!

Camaraderie, not taking a back seat, is often lifted high above the pine, black spruce and tamaracks! Jubilation trumpets outward, far and beyond our temporary home on the ice!
In climax, a true predator fish has found itself entrapped in a cylindrical nightmare!! Perilously and unwilling, the King of the ice blanketed bay, momentarily will learn how to fly!!!!

Jim Wernimont

wow if i could remember half or any of the stuff that somehow seeped in and out of my head while spending countless hours solo on the ice,while waiting for a fish to tell me what do next,i'd probley learn a thing or three.It looks like you know what your talking about,that was good stuff!keep em' coming.It makes think about why exactly we freezeourkeesters for a fish or two or three.

Jim, that has the potential to be a great piece of prose. With a little tuning you will have a real keeper there. ie:

Far I slip deep into the dream, though enjoying it ever so. I need to walk on water hard, rendered firm by frigid wind. Beneath which hides my treasured yield.

grin.gif

bog and kwk..i'm not into poetry too much, although i like robert service. i liked your stuff. some guys are good with putting down in words, what's in the head and heart. i think it's a gift. later, keebo.

although it was a hands down masterpiece, it sounds to me like you need to learn how to catch fish to keep yourself a little more busy....at least your trying, cant go wrong when on the ice!!
keep it coming shakespeare.

FYI, Bogsucker is NOT Jim W.

To paraphrase/plagiarise Rod Serling

You're fishing in another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey onto a wondrous lake whose boundaries are only that of the imagination. That's the tip-up flag up ahead - your next stop, the...

[This message has been edited by Bogsucker (edited 01-22-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Bogsucker (edited 01-22-2004).]