• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two lure questions

HugoBox

1- I added a split ring to the front of a Jackpot to make it easier to get a snap on cause the eyelet is so small. - Will that affect how the bait works?

2- Would I miss or lose more fish if i removed the front treble on a DCG?

thanks - erik

In response to item #2..Posts seem to indicate that fish go for the blades, not the skirt..But I have a problem with the skirt tangling up in the front treble. I, too, have thought about removing it. If a fish will chomp down on the front of the bait (or, nearer the blades) more often than not, then removing that front set sounds like a bad idea.

Based on my experience with DCGs... I'd say leave the hook alone... I've had muskies hit the tail end of the DCG... I've had muskies T-bone the DCG... Why I boated one and lost 5 others pretty much would be my fault... I even added a hook to the middle of my DC-10...

As for the WTD lures... I have 2 Homewreckers... both came with split rings to the nose eyelet... and I removed it for a better action... seems like with the split ring, they became a glide/jerkbait... without they became a topwater... No harm in trying it anyways...

1.) The Split ring will actually "help you" get more walk the Dog Action.

2.)You are GOING TO LOSE fish regardless if you keep or remove the front hook.

The Hooking percentages are very LOW on this lure. Anyone who disagrees with this fact is someone who does not know much about the lure. The only time I really use this lure is for entertainment purposes.

The DOC is a better top water in my honest opinion, the JACKPOT is just another Bob M failure of a Lure, just like the original PIG.

Brian K

As for putting the split ring on the jackpot, I don't think that it does any damage to the action, and it's a whole lot easier. I don't fish them a whole lot because I was tired of fish missing them, but they are a great call bait.

Like MM1011 said, you are going to lose fish, but I don't think that the front does a whole lot of good, and just makes it more diffucult at night. We do very well on our hookups with DC10's. and at night they just inhale it anyway. Good Luck!

I think its depend on muskie's attack plan. Its going to side swipe it? Or justplainly swalow it? Who know.. I know I ll left my middle hook in till I catch/lost enough to decide where I stand.

Talking with Brad at Musky Mayhem, you will definitely lose fish without a front hook on a DCG. When the lure was being prototyped, one of the guides using it had taken that hook off due to it tangling in the blades and snagging weeds. He was complaining to Brad about how he had never lost so many fish as with that lure and had everyone scratching their heads because the other guides were doing VERY well. In the end they figured out he had taken the hook off. IME when sight fishing, I see MANY fish attacking the head/blades of the lure.

None of my WTD's have a split ring, worth a shot i guess?

This post finally got me to register as a user.

Whatever you do, DO NOT REMOVE THE FRONT HOOKS ON A DCG!!!!

Like JReding said, I've heard Brad state that you will loose fish without the front hook. I've also talked with several guides and most say that 80-90% of the fish on DCG's are hooked on the front hook.

Both fish I have caught on DCG's (including a 51.5) were hooked on the front hook.

1) I'd personally not go with a split, the more direct and short fast snaps the better, I do not see a split helping. Keep in mind I primarily throw a Weagle as a WTD and the eyelet is big enough. In my opinion it's not needed and introduces another potential point of issues. Better to have a leader accommodate the lure instead.

2) Llungen DC10s only have one treb, while the DC11s have two. I agree that the blades do draw strikes towards the front of the lure, thus impairing the hook-up % somewhat with the blades and the flashabou in the way. I think the odds are better leaving the front treb on.

That is an advantage of a maribou buck though, far less issues with tangling up dressing on the front treb.

As a counter though, I like Lily Tails...one single hook. Granted it's a totally different bucktail by design, that single hook is fish-friendly and helps with the release.

Well then, has anyone thought of adding a second treble to a smaller bait... either a Doucle Showgirl or a DC-8?

I like Lilytails too, Chris. I do remove that single hook and replace it with a treble... I just don't think I would get many hook-ups otherwise. The thin shaft of the Lilytails makes for alot of vibration. However, the toothy critters (even the small ones) tend to bend the heck out of the lure often.

-Gregg B.

Pat Smith from Thorne Bros did recommend that I start purchasing Showgirls after I complained to him about how I blew out two reels throwing out DCGs... He also said that several do add treble hooks to the midsection of the Showgirls... and it works just perfectly... I havent tried it yet... and I havent really thrown out Showgirls much lately...

Well then, has anyone thought of adding a second treble to a smaller bait... either a Doucle Showgirl or a DC-8?

I add a hook to them, it's how I ended my losing streak last fall. I went 12 or 13 fish on showgirls getting off on me, that lure was on fire and i was fishless. (big stuff, countless pike too)

Now I don't lose the muskies it seems(last night this was not the case however!) and all the taps I used to feel before are pike that I have to take off....They really go for the blades on these smaller baits, IME.

-Jeff

If you are having trouble with the front treble on a DCG consider adding a split ring from the treble to the wire. The ring can't slide up due to the weld on the hook and can't go down around the end of the hook. This keeps the hook up and out of the way, Fudally does this on their double 10's. I have boated 2 Muskies hooked with this style front hook this year.

The split ring on the jackpot does make it alot easier to put on and take off You can also leave a leader on the eye hook and use that for your connection this really can improve action the downfall is the hooks getting caught up in the swivels. Its funny how that hook can find its way into the leader swivel.