• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on an east wind muskie fishing

Tippman

Looking ahead at the forecast after Tuesday it's supposed to be rainy with east winds. The rain really doesn't bother me muskie fishing but east wind sure does. I even remember how Jim Saric noted it at his muskie expo seminar that VERY few of his big fish were caught with an east wind. And personally I've never had any luck with it either.

So what are others thoughts on this? Have you ever had success with an east wind?

"Wind from the east, fish bite the least"

That being said, I have never had much luck with an east wind, but I have caught fish with it. Correct me if I am wrong, but most of the time, and east wind signifies the back side of a front that has just pushed through the area. I think the fish can still be caught, but i think you just have to work that much harder to find them and then get them to hit. All in all, I won't let an east wind stop me from fishing, but it doesn't give me the utmost confidence.

Joe Bucher's thoughts are to stay home!

I've moved them in the evening and night as it dies down, but I agree, whether psychological or not, Eastward winds seem to tone down activity.

That said....they're still fish... underwater, without weather forecasts and maps, and they eat metal, plastic, wood, rubber etc. Don't let 'em outsmart you. Stick to some consistent and proven patterns, but spin your approach 180 degrees to structure compared to your approach in a typical Westward wind condition.

Going off RKs movement theories, look to hold-over or "rest-stops" between major areas, as the conditions may have them moving.

Those conditions are not ideal, but if I can go fishing, I go fishing. They can still be had. A couple of good times come to mind. In both cases, I was on off-shore structure fishing (rock/weed mix) the side the wind was pounding on. In that case, I think location was everything, because as I recall, there wasn't much going on elsewhere.

Got me to thinking, so I thought I would ask some of the "big guns" their thoughts on an East wind. Doug Johnson says that he actually prefers an east wind because he fishes a lot of west facing structure and it makes it more productive. One of the best winds on LOTW, and the worst being W/WNW. Pearson on the other hand, just says he likes wind, no matter the direction, the more wind the better.........I think he has spent too much time in the sun!!! crazy

Figure these two know their fare share of fishing, so from now on, I won't let an east wind deter me at all!!!

We had east winds yesterday (5-10 mph) and caught about 5 nice pike while musky fishing. Then once it got dark and the wind died down we were night fishing and landed a 40", 43" and 44" and lost a big one right by the boat. I don't think it hurts as long as there's no other frontal conditions.