• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Top water bass in 30ft of water?

chippy

I was out fishing panfish at a Lake in Washington County, but kept noticing some top water movement away from the boat. I then opted for my bass rig, which is senko fished Texas style. I was able to catch what must have been 10-15 fish in a short span. For some reason the largies were schooling on top water at about 30 ft of water. I just thought that was weird, or maybe I have not fished largemouths enough to fully understand eh?

*also while trolling around the area they were in, no baitfish was present*

I have heard stories of people using topwaters over deep water with great success and have tried it often but had only one fish take me up on it. About 4 lbs on a Zara Spook in 24 fow.

I have found this to be common during low light conditions during mid summer. I've caught fish over 15ft of water on top with zara spooks in the morning up north. Also, nne time last year I was with two buddies and we caught a lot of fish over 20-30ft of water on jig worms, senkos, or drop shots. The fish would hit the bait about 5ft under the surface. We would wait until we saw sunfish dimpling(sp?) the surface, then threw to that area and almost everytime you had a fish, it was nuts!

In the march 2008 issue of bass master mag (can i say the name of the mag?)it talkes about open water frogging.the aticle is non-slop fishing. it says that poppers and zara spooks are the lures of choice . it also mentions clear water is better.