• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sporadic speedometer

ssaamm

Hi, I have a 90hp 4stroke '02 Yamaha on a 17ft Crestliner Fish Hawk. The speedometer on the dash will work for a couple of months and then just show a "-". Not a big deal for me, but is there a sensor on the motor that could be clogged or is there a fairly simple solution or test I could run. Not a big issue, the Gps shows the speed just fine. Thanks for the help. Sam

The little water intake on the motor may be plugged with a little piece of wood. Did you hit any sticks in the past couple of trip?

Usually in the spring a few of my boats hit sticks floating or logs and the speedometer intake gets pluged.

Simple fix, we just use a straightened out jig to pull the wood fibers out of the hole.

Thanks for the reply. I did clean out the little hole on the lower unit. When I did this I noticed that my anode ( or fin right above the prop) was twisted off center a couple of inches. The boat does pull a little bit. Is this a big deal? I tried pushing it back with no luck. Thanks, Sam

You didn't mention which way it's pulling. But in most instances it will be a little to the right to counter for the prop. If it pulls to the left, move it slightly to the left. If it pulls right, move slightly to the right.