• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Liriano - Who falls out of the Rotation

Big Tom

I have to think Liriano will make an appearance in a Twin's uniform soon after the break. Releasing or trading Lamb or Boof make the most sense. Putting him in the pen is not an option. So whose job in the rotation does he take? Beyond wins, Livan's stats are poor. I would hate to pull any of the other 4 as they have all looked very good and are getting what they all need now - starts.

From Lavelle's column yesterday in the Strib.

" Lefthander Francisco Liriano turned in his third consecutive strong outing for Class AAA Rochester, and Twins manager Ron Gardenhire has taken notice.

"Those are starting to get to be the numbers you are hoping for," Gardenhire said.

The numbers?

Liriano shut out Durham for seven innings, giving up three hits while walking one and striking out eight. He threw 87 pitches as he improved to 7-2 with a 3.53 ERA.

And here are some more numbers. He is 7-0 in his past eight starts and has a scoreless streak of 21 1/3 innings.

And a couple more: His fastball averaged 93 miles per hour and topped out at 95."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my guess is we'll see him in the pen, at least for this season. None of the current starters deserve to get bumped and the pen could sure use another arm that hopefully can be reliable.

We really can't replace anyone at this time... He'll probably start out in the bullpen at first.

I've heard a couple things about toying with a 6-man rotation. It would give our young starters more rest... It's shown in the past that young starters really wear down once they get close to that 200 IP mark.

It would be nice to get the old Liriano back. If he brings his stuff I would say Bullpen then if he would most likely replace Hernandez.

By the way Mike, when you get the chance send me an email and we'll talk some fishing.

Add me to the bullpen call for Liriano.

The one things the Twins desperately need, through a trade or help from the minors, is some good middle relief. I have witnessed far too much Brian Bass in the 8th inning in the past week. It's the one weakness that really needs addressing.

Plus, it would be a great way for Liriano to break back into the majors without being expected to pick the rotation up & carry it, which is what many folks, local & national, would expect.

Creative but why not get rid of the guy who is getting shelacked at least 1 or 2 innings per game?

I like Liriano coming out of the bullpen if they don't want to start him...... until the playoffs that is.. grin

Hernandez has got to go and since Liriano is doing so well down in tripple A I'd say give him a go as a starter again. I agree that Bass is just not doing well but I can't say that Reyes is either or any of our relief pitchers. Now that most of the starters are doing better the game seems to be up to our relief pitching which hasn't suited us well lately. I was hoping that Crain would pick it up after surgery but he still isn't hitting his spots as he should.

The team is on a stretch of like 22-8 baseball. The releivers have had a couple bad news games in there but they have been playing real well of late. Sure we can remember the time Bass got pounded or the time crain couldn't buy an out. But more times than not these guys are doing their job and we are winning!

If we clean up our defense and our pitching and hitting stands pat, the Twins will likely play into October!

The team is on a stretch of like 22-8 baseball. The releivers have had a couple bad news games in there but they have been playing real well of late. Sure we can remember the time Bass got pounded or the time crain couldn't buy an out. But more times than not these guys are doing their job and we are winning!

If we clean up our defense and our pitching and hitting stands pat, the Twins will likely play into October!

I agree completely! No one expected our boys to go anywhere this year and half way through they are right in the middle of it. Pitching, both our starters and relievers have been doing well.

Liriano will not come out of the pen. They are starting him in AAA to stretch him out so he can throw 100+ pitches in a game. They will not go backwards with him. I don't see him starting in the bigs unless one of our starters gets shelled 3-4 games in a row, or someone goes down with an injury.

Remember what Liriano is coming off of...reconstructive surgery. I've said it before, and I will say it again: I don't want to see him over about 160 innings this year. If that means bullpen, so be it. If that means he stays in the minors on a strict innings/pitch count, so be it.

If he comes up, I would rather see him in the rotation than the bullpen...if he is in the 'pen, he will be getting up and getting warmed up to throw every few days...that would be too much, even if he only pitches an inning at a time.

Probably the ideal situation would be that he comes up as the fifth starter...and when there is an off day, his start can be skipped. That would be an appropriate workload. If the Twins were to make the playoffs, it would depend on his total innings whether or not I would even want to see him pitch in the post season. The guy is too valuable to sacrifice his future by working him too hard this season.

Spot on!

Liriano would be on a strict pitch count this year but that doesn't mean he can't play in the majors.

The twins went into this season expecting little to nothing from Liriano. Knowing that with the history of this injury and his rehab...the first year is a total crapshot. Anything Liriano gives this team is going to be a postitive.

Liriano has already pitched over 100 innings in the minors. He is 7-0 in his last 8 starts. In that stretch he's had 53 k's and only 10 walks (4 being in 1 game, 8 games a go.) He hasn't allowed an earned run in over 20 innings.

He is getting darn close and the twins will most likely have to make a decision on him soon!

Just heard Liriano wants the player's union to file a grievance against the Twins for not caling him up. Is this another hot head that doesn't get it?

Seriously??? Who do you suppose he wants to send away so he can be the man? What is he thinking? Bet he'd be a big hit in the clubhouse with that attitude.

Pier, your avitar...please say it aint so.