• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rapala electric knife

Finfinder

If anyone out there is thinking about getting an electric knife, I absolutly recommend it. My buddy told me to get one but I thought I really didn't need one. I got one for Christmas, and it is about the best gift I ever got,fast,easy, and no waste. I can even clean smaller panfish without wasting any meat.

They are great Ive been using them for many years and have converted a lot of people after they see how well they work.I also have a 12 volt one that works just as well and is handy for a fish house or in the boat.Once you get used to it you will never go back to a regular knife.

I agree that system they have is awesome! Its not cordless, but that hasn't been a problem since you have hooks ups for AC, 12V cigeratte lighter and battery posts! And the one I have comes in a nice case with a cutting board and two different size blades!

Really great product and the guys in the cleaning shack at Long Point were really impressed with how quiet it was in comparision to others at the table that sounded closer to a chainsaw.

Hands Down the best electric knife system that I have ever used or owned. I like the compact size motor. American Fisherman are so big. I have a cordless American Fisherman and it is nice if you only have 4 fish but if you have any number it doesn't stay charge long enough. There other weekend I clean 40 walleye/sauger/perch from LOW and the knife didn't even get hot a little warm but not bad. I have used a American Fisherman that got so hot after about 10 fish you have to put it down cuz you can't hang onto it. Get system nice carrying case so that everything is where you need it. Electric is the way to go.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 01-15-2004).]

gus - no gimmick, although I think more recent ones are much better than ones that have been on the market for years.

I was skeptical about buying one too, even after hearing the rave reviews on them. Last weekend I was up north and had the priveledge to try one out. It was the American Fisherman, not the American Angler. I loved it. Even though I heard such good things about the Rapala, I went out and got the American Fisherman for $20. It isn't rechargable and only runs on 110 volts, so you would need a converter to run it off of a battery.

Best purchase I have made this year and so far to date I have spent over 4,000 on outdoor stuff. hard to imagine that the best purchase would be the electric knife.

I also have a Rapala and love it. It does not heat up when in use for long periods of time. I also use mine to clean sweet corn for canning and it never misses a beat. So if they don't heat up as fast they should last longer...right?

A tip for saving meat around the ribs that I do is I make my intial cut along the ribs and then cut about 3/4" down the ribs then I flip the fish over and follow the ribs down till the fillet comes off. It is kind of hard to explain but it works good. I do all that with the electic. It saves alot more meat then one would think.

Hey Marine_Man it doesn't matter how you do it you are still slow. HA
------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 01-15-2004).]

elecric for all species and I was efficient with the hand rapala. I use electric from start to finis Don't sweat the rib cage meat any more it aint worth it. after fishing 6to12 hrs and volumes to fillet I fly . I could make commercial fishing co. money.

------------------

muskieguy - you go right through the rib cage, then do the detail work of removing the skin and rib cage using your normal fillet knife.

This way you are not dulling your reg. knife cutting through scales etc... I haven't tried using the electric to fillet the meat from the skin, but only to slice the main chunk from the body. I have just heard this method, and since I only cleaned 30 fish in one sitting, I didn't experiment to see how it worked removing the skin.

I do a pretty slick job on walleyes and in about three or four slices can have one side totally filleted and deboned. I just suck at panfish......the electric knife was a godsend for that. I will hopefully be trying her on eyes this weekend as I am hitting the river in a known fall hangout. Just hope they are still there now that it is ice covered.

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 01-15-2004).]

Here's how I do it and haven't been able to improve on it much.

I go right through the rib cage down to the tail, but not all the way through, stop just before the end and filp the fillet over and off of the fish. Now you can take the electric knife and take the fillet right off the skin too! By not going through the tail, you can now hold on to the whole fish during this process instead of trying to get your fingers to hold that little piece of skin on the slimy work space.

(One way to vary this is to cut through the first side down to the tail, but not through, then flip the whole fish over and fillet the second side the same way. Sometimes this is helpful in letting the fish guide your fillet knife through along the bone structure, sometimes the knife wants to run through the bone and into the second fillet, and I have found keeping the first fillet under the fish can help this problem.)

From here, if I have a cleaning partner he'll start taking out the rib cages, otherwise I just take the rib cages out with the same electric fillet knife, works great.

Someone shared the tip with me about not going through the tail and then taking the skin off at that point and this has been a really huge time saver! I've shared this one with many, but not on this forum yet.

Good luck!

I've had my Rapala now for about a year and absolutely love it...

Muskieguy - you can still go over the ribcage if you so choose... that's the way I've always filleted fish... and it's still possible with an electic knife... it takes a little getting used to, but now I'm pretty sure I'm faster cleaning fish than I was with a regular knife.

marine_man

This is how I do it
Lay fish on its side and cut down to backbone by head then turn elec knife and cut along backbone thru ribs to end of tail leaving skin attached at tail then flip the fillet over and fillet off skin.Taking the ribs off is a little more tricky but with a little practice can be done.It is hard to explain but I cut down by the ribs and sort of turn the knife at the same time and cut them out.It is all in the wrist action so to speak.

Sounds like everybody likes their electronic knife. I have never been the quickest at cleaning fish and most of my time is taken around the rib cage area. Going through the rib cage might really help me out. Thanks everybody..

Muskieguy.......

Can it Be Luck,
Want to race? I am sure that you are quick with a knife but try an electric and I bet you will be a little quicker. I might be wrong in your case but for most it will be faster than with even the sharpest knife.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

Before ............... ..................... f9ee0111.jpg ...........And after......... f9ee0523.jpg .....You may be right though, for a guy just starting out an electric may be better......It's just not for me. smile.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 01-16-2004).]

I got one for Christmas from my wife and am still learning how to use it. I am not sure how well it will work for the detailed stuff and not take away too much meat. I have an American Angler I think, black and yellow. The thing looks scary but I used it for making the first cuts that always dull the other knives. It did bog down a little when the fish were a little frozen yet.

I have been using the method I learned from a video a few years ago and now have lost the video but would suggest it to all. it is by far the best method to do fish boneless and in one piece I have ever found. "no Bones About it" is the name, I think but I cannot find it located anywhere. Saw it at the Sports Show one year and glad I bought it. If anyone has it I would love to refresh myself on it again.

[email protected]