• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gliders and topwaters

I'll second what HugoBox says. The Jackpot is a great call bait, and when things go right and you are patient, you can hook up fairly often. That said though, generally the heavier, stay-in-the-water-better baits like Vipers and Weagles and Docs hook up for us more often. As the fish rushes up to attack, we think they are actually creating a push of water that tends to blow them up in the air or off to the side, and with them going side to side already, they are hard enough for the fish to get in their mouth. We had one this weekend zig when he should have zagged on a Phantom, and all he did was get the tail.

I'll second what HugoBox says. The Jackpot is a great call bait, and when things go right and you are patient, you can hook up fairly often. That said though, generally the heavier, stay-in-the-water-better baits like Vipers and Weagles and Docs hook up for us more often. As the fish rushes up to attack, we think they are actually creating a push of water that tends to blow them up in the air or off to the side, and with them going side to side already, they are hard enough for the fish to get in their mouth. We had one this weekend zig when he should have zagged on a Phantom, and all he did was get the tail.

Throw the Topraider and the Pacemaker - different sound and you never know when they might prefer one to the other. In fact when conditions are prime for a prop-style topwater, Hunter is usually throwing the Pacemaker and I the Topraider. For rougher water it's the bigger Pacemaker or a big Stomper or Low Rider.

Cjac and Rebel - gotchya on the cutting the hooks. Makes sense.

Early and late light conditions I go Weagle, and do not shy away from going WTD dayside in fairly calm conditions.

Progression: Then I go Pacemaker, and it gets a bit more rough I go LOWrider or AHL Lac Suel turbo. Just a habitual progression I go thru, I suppose I should mix it up really.

10' Weagle is cool, not as intimidating to throw or work as it looks in hand. Some pretty solid recent success stories too from others.

propster: Glad that makes sense, when clipped the retrieves are almost 100% effective compared to issues prior to modifying. I really don't think the middle hook does much for hook-ups anyways.