• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Loading up my Otter Lodge in the pickup

kais24

Ok, here's the scenario: I'm done fising and I have all my stuff in the Otter "tub." I frequently fish by myself and have a Ford F-150. I usually just empty out most of the stuff in the tub and then put the (lighter) empty tub in the truck and then re-load it. What is the easiest way to load the beast with all the gear in the back of my truck without bulging all the discs in my lower back? Does anyone have a ramp system or anything like that they use?

Thanks...

Duhh!!! a forklift!!! grin.gif

I have the same situation with hauling mine on a trailer it is a little shorter left then you pick-up but still a pain in the a$$. I suppose some folding ATV ramps might work???

------------------
Hook Em Good!!!!!!!

S.D. Ice Angular;
NRA, DU, NWTF,
Varmint Hunter
& NAHC Life Member

A couple 8' 2x12 should do the trick. I use the pank from my scaffold for my Voyager. Has hooks on the end so it doesn't slide. Just push it up the ramp. When on the lake going from spot to spot I push it on the ramp and lift the plank with Voyager on it still and push all in. It's doesn't seem heavy at all doing it this way.

Brian

Isn’t amazing just how easy things load up at home but when you are done fishing it can be almost impossible. It just goes to show just how much work fishing really is. And to think everyone thought we were having such a good time… wink.gif

I found a really simple process....

1. Make sure you're on glare ice and then lift the front end of the portable up onto the tailgate and let it slide off back onto the ice.

2. Cuss and swear at it then try again.

3. Cuss and swear again untill you get [PoorWordUsage]ed off enough to just pick the whole thing up and toss it into the back of the truck, make sure to hurt your back in the process.

I have found that the easiest way for me is to lift the front of the sled off the ground, from the bed of the pickup, and then set the "lip" of the sled on the tailgate. Then I get out of the bed adn pick up the back end of the lodge and slide it into the pickup......

I hear you loud and clear Farley about the glare ice loading procedure. Did that for the first and hopefully last time this past weekend.

I usually load it so the front of the sled is towards the tailgate, but there was no way I could do that with nothing to brace the sled while I move to the other end to finish the lift. Got lucky and the lip of the back end stayed on the tailgate long enough for me to push in the other end. Still wasn't easy.

Last resort was getting in the box of the truck and pulling it up by the tow rope I have attached. Throw in the fact that it was dark while doing this and you have yourself a good time!

I made a 5/8 plywood floor with 2 of the four holes in it that i use when fishing with a buddy or just the 2 holes i use fishing alonealone. It doesn't cover the whole floor, but it keeps your feet off the ice when your sitting in the chairs. It is the full length of the sled and a little bit wider, but getting to the point, when im done fishing i use it as a ramp pull the sled all the way onto it, then lift the back and slide the whole works into the truck. It doesn't make it easy but it beats grunting the front of the sled up to the tailgate.

I have a Polor-Sport fish house but I share the same problem. The only way that I have come up with, is to empty everything out. I pick up one side of the tub and pull it up to my knees. I then use one knee to to lift the bottom of the tub up to the bed of the pick-up. I then slide it in and re-load the small loose stuff. The auger goes on the bed of the truck with the heater behind it. It takes about 5 minutes which I dont think is too bad.

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

Unload auger, minnows, heater, lantern box. Standing on the left front corner (front towards the tailgate)I lift the front onto the tailaget from that corner. I then use my right foot to "block" the back end of the Otter, so it doesn't slide backward. I shuffle around to the back of the Otter, lift and slide it into the truck. All the heavy stuff just gets put into the truck bed.

I just got an Otter Lodge recently and had to figure out the same thing. What I did was get a small pulley and 25' of rope. In my suburban I took a tie down strap and wrapped it around the front seats. The pulley is clipped to the strap and a bungee chord is attatched to the 'tub'. I loop the rope to the bungee chord and pull on the other end. It isn't easy to haul in the 80lbs of sled/skin but it does work. A couple of boards as a ramp would help the process.