• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
woodyjdh

Fish House Suggestions....

After finally getting the "honeydoo" list down to a few chores, I have decided to build my own fish house. I plan to build a 7 x 16 house using dual retractable wheels. What I want to know is; has anyone ever build or seen one using aluminum for the base frame (Floor/trailer), and what are the thoughts on this? I am a welder by trade, and figure I'll have to build the wheel *** 'y out of steel, but bolt it on to the frame if I go with alum. Also, what are your experiences on aluminum stud walls? Vinyl, alum., steel or ? for siding? Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated. The "chairwoman of the board" says this is a one time deal, as we are not made of money. So I have to make this one count! Feel free to e-mail me with any thoughts, pictures etc. [email protected]

Ok, I know I am the "new guy", and I find it hard to believe no one has a response to my post?!!? I know someone out there has some ideas and experiences with the subject posted above.

Welcome to the forum.

Awhile back there was a thread called "Building a fishhouse on wheels" or "Building a retractable wheel fishhouse". Can't remember exactly. There was a ton of information in there. Last I heard was the thread disappeared for some reason. Use the search feature and I'm sure you'll find some useful info.

Thanks hanson! I will check it out. I'm sure the topic has been around since the beginning of this site. Fish on!!!

I havn't really heard of anyone using aluminum as the frame itself, klave industrial builds them here in walker and their bases are 2x3 steel tubing or somthing similar and the studs are aluminum bolted to it, I would imagine you'd get quite a bit more flex using aluminum for the main frame but like I said, I've never seen or heard of it being done.
In my opinion polebarn type steel siding would be a good way to go, I've seen it from 35-50 bucks a square depending on color. I've used vinyl on an 8x8 and like everyone else will tell you it gets brittle in cold weather, if you are extremly careful you will go awhile with out cracking it but I'll garrantee its only a matter of time before it cracks for some reason.

Here is a site called "How to build a fish-house". I looked at it a little and it looked like they had a lot of good information. Good luck!

http://hickorytech.net/~jbusby/house.html

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

[This message has been edited by Minnetonka (edited 01-16-2004).]

Silveroddo, thanks for the input. The flexing was definently a concern. My brother in law has vinyl siding, and I agree with you on the eventuality of cracking. I am leaning towards the steel you mentioned, strong & sturdy. I only have one shot at this...according to the boss, so I have to make it count. Minnetonka, thanks for the link! I had been to that site long ago, and forgot about it. Now I can search more! Fish on!!!

I would go with Steel myself. Then an aluminum framed house. With so type of metal siding. With the aluminum house make sure to install some type of vapor barier before you put any paneling up to keep it from warping. A good method for attaching the paneling is to use plastic rivets other wise with metal they will frost and once you turn the heat on it will drip on you all day. Check into the width that you are talking with a 7' house and the wheels outside of that you will probably be over the legal width that you can transport down the road. Typically with the wheels on the outside you can only go with a 6.5' for with or else go with a 8' and fenders in the house and build the house around wheels. Just some of the things that I have found with using mine.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

Aliminum trailer is the way to go. My Uncle built his fishouse on an aluminum frame and used 2" thick insulated panels for the walls. NO studs, no framing, just the panels. They are tounge and groove and sit on a track of channel aluminum. He had the frame built by a friend who builds aluminum trailers. My Uncle works for a company that installs commercial refridgerators and coolers so the panels are not available "over the counter". His house pulls like a dream and is easy to crank up and move. My house has a steel frame and crank up wheels but is so friggin heavy it's kind of a pain in the arse to move a lot. But my house was probably about $1500 cheaper to build.