• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you keep your portable from sliding in the wind???

gspman

Hi folks,
What do you use to keep your "sled style" portable from turning into a wind propelled toboggan, especially when there's no snow on the ice? I've seen these "ice spikes" where you drill a hole in the ice and put the spikes in and attach to the sled via rope. Anybody use these? Do they work? Any other suggestions or techniques to keep from sliding around? Thanks.
gspman

I'm going toassume you don't have your portable connected to a sled or ATV with a hitch.

I've tied ropes to the back corners of my Otter and run the rope ends through 3/8" drilled holes in a 2-ft. long 2x4 and tied them off.

I drill a hole behind the Portable (wind at the back of the portable or to one side) and I stick the 2x4 down the hole so it locks on the underside of the ice.

You have to keep the hole from freezing up while you fish (so you can retrieve the 2x4 later), but your portable won't budge with this set-up.

I now use a factory hitch on mine and tow it with the 4-wheeler, face the wheeler into the wind and bank well around the base of the portable when I set-up, no problem...

------------------
Chells

Grab a hand full of beach sand before you leave shore, drill your holes and clean them out then sprinkle the beach sand on the ice where your house is going to sit. It has worked for me for years.

Ole

Hi gspman,
I use the Ice Loks that Strikemaster makes (the ones you are referring to- I think). They work very well, and they double as life guard spikes! Used them on some very breezy days without a problem.

I made my own spikes long time ago out of some old scrap iron I had laying around. Made them 9 1/2 inches long and wedge
tem into a 8 inch hole just partially drilled.Tie them to the house and it never moves. Wish i would have pattened them, I would have been a rich man by now lol lol.

I purchased some cheap, long (10inch) screws with an eye on them and screw them into the ice on each of the holes that face the wind. That will hold it initially and usually freezing will happen after awhile. This has worked well!

jig-em

USL Products (USL Outdoor Products INC.) The Clam people (ie. Fishtraps) sells a product known as Ice Anchors. they suggest that you drill 3/8 inch holes in the floor of you tub and screw these in. The ice anchors are self tapping and go into the ice easy. I do not want holes in my tub since I have been know to float it over open water. I screw these in on the outside, about 1 1/2 feet from each corner. I then attach the T-handle to the corner of the tub with bungee cords.

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

On my 8x8 portable I used to take ropes and tie rags on them about the size of a wash cloth and after you drill a hole dip them in the water and throw them on the ice{one for each corner} and let them freeze to the ice then tie the rope to the house.Similar to using a 2x4 but when your done you can just pull them off the ice.