• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drop Away Rest

EXTREME

I have a decade old Reflex Extreme that I am thinking about upgrading. I currently have a Bodoodle rest on it, and am thinking about upgrading to a drop away rest. Does anybody out there have any suggestions on a brand or maybe even suggestions on why I shouldn't switch? The bodoodle rest that I have now has been a fletching nightmare since the day I put it on...it shoots fine, but I want some clearance. Onother question...can you even put a drop away rest on a older bow? Thanks for any suggestions.

Check out the ripcord, or any other with full containment. If you have had clearance problems, you will love any drop away you choose to put on.

I have the Ripcord on my XT and Love it. It has worked flawlessly. Two other guys I hunt with have also had great experiences withe the Ripcord. I have heard good things about the QAD as well. Just buy one with full arrow containment. Not having to worry about how you hold or support bow in the stand is a really good thing.

Thanks for the replies guys! Ya I never thought about that containment issue...with the bodoodle, when I sit in the stand with the bow on my lap...my finger is always on the arrow. I would be nice to not have to worry about it. I will look into both brands and let you know what I decide. Thanks again

Last year I finally upgraded from a bodoodle to a Ripcord.

I agree that the Ripcord, the QAD and the Trophy Taker were in my top 3. Between price and ease etc, I chose the Ripcord. Its under $100, its a drop-away, it offers full containment and you can lock it in the up position, so when I sit with my bow on my lap The arrow is in the rest, cannot fall out and is ready for the shot.

One last question...with the Ripcord when you draw back your bow...and slowly let down on it; does the "v" go forward? I seen that the QAD rest does not do that. I would hate to have it go down when I have to let the bow down and a deer is in range. Just a thought.

It does go down automatically when you let down. It comes back up when you draw back though so if you don't tip the bow over you can draw back again, or reach over and raise the holder again and lock it up.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. I have had to draw a couple times before I shot a time or two. I think that I will have Itasca Archery Supply put one on for me. I went and talked with Gary this weekend about the Ripcord. Seems like a pretty good rest....he said that he put on lots of them last year and everybody seems to like them. I appreciate all the advice.

I really like my QAD. If you get it one thing i would recomend when it is mounted is to have them not use the plastic mounting block for connecting the string to the cable. I had it this way for a month or so when i first got my bow and it wore on my cables a little bit. The plastic block has since been taken off and the string goes through my cable, has a brass nock and is served in.

Umd. I'd take off the brass nock and melt the end into a little ball. It won't slip through the cable and you don't have to worry about the nock coming off. Not that big of a deal but the nock could cause some wear and tear on the cable. You don't need it.

i've got the ripcord. great rest. it only locks upright at full draw. then down when released. however, you can lock it upright just by folding the rest up with your fingers. you don't have to draw back to raise it up. then a little tug on the cord and it is released. nice features on a great rest

Well guys, I finally went over to Itasca Archery Supply in Grand Rapids and bought the Ripcord from Gary. He installed it for me and I brought it home.....MAN does the bow shoot good. That is the best arrow flight this bow has ever thrown. It seems that with the bodoodle rest, every 4th or 5th shot had a little tail wobble in the arrow...not with this rest. I was shooting 2 inch groups at 30 yards in a matter of minutes, and the arrow flight was perfect. Now all I need is practice. Thanks guys for all the suggestions. It was either the Ripcord or the Ultrarest. I don't think Gary carried the Ultrarest...so the Ripcord is what I went with.

I've never shot with a drop away rest yet but I was looking at a few. I read a lot of reviews and it seems like Vapor Trail limb driver is the way to go. Different string attachment than others but read a lot about people getting rid of all the other rests they own. Anybody use one ?

The ripcord is a great rest. I went with the QAD because of the lock up and lock down features. I really couldn't pass it up with the store discount I get. If I didn't get the QAD I would have gotten the ripcord.

Shot again last night...WOW. Sorry for the intensity, but this bow is shooting awesome. I am not even warmed up for the year yet and I am in danger of wrecking arrows because they are too close together in the target. I was thinking about getting a new bow one of these years, but this rest has brought out the best in my bow. I am completely impressed. I can hardly wait to try it with broadheads. I encourage anyone shooting a prong style rest, to give the drop away's a chance. They shoot awesome!! smile

Glad you're happy with it. I shoot an older Mathews and had the same opinion after I switched. Wait till you put broadheads on, you will be even more impressed.