• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hard Steering

Shwangman

I have a 1700 Lund Explorer with a 115 Yamaha and I swear, i have grease every zerk on the motor, motor bar, took apart the steering wheel, oiled that up. Went into the console and sprayed oil on the steering wheel ring and the darn thing still steers hard. I can live with it or take it in and have the dealer look at it but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas that I may be missing in fixing the steering.

Thanks........

How old is your explorer? Barring any sudden tight bends you may have in the steering cable it sounds like a new cable might be required. Disconnect the drag link that connects the cable to the motor and see if the motor turns freely. Then, turn the steering wheel. If it's still difficult to turn then it's time for a new cable.

Replacement isn't difficult if you've got enough room to get the new cable into the motor without removing the motor.

Good Luck!

marine_man

The boat is a 2001. It has got better but, still tough

Thanks for the advise, I will give that a shot. Do you know the Thompson or the Code family in Lisbon? I worked with both of them in Plymouth.

Thanks again.

Ken

My steering on my 20' croft got really stiff last fall, we pulled the steering cable out put a new one in and it fixed the problem instantly. You don't want to run with a stiff/bad one very long, they can break and then you are stuck out on the lake.

Very good point Matt.

The thing with steering cables is, where they start to get stiff and tight is not a place you can get to with any lube. If the steering tube or parts of the helm are sticking, thats a different story, but if the cable is bad, replace it.

I am talking about replacing the plywood on some of the outfitters, a couple of them have gotten soft. I asked valv if he had any buld vinyl in grey and I am just waiting to hear back.

I hope you ordered one with vinyl they are so easy to clean compared with the carpet, and they don't hold water like the carpet ones. I think if I had carpet on them I would have been replacing the floors on some of the older ones a few years back.